Verizon iPhone 5 Upgrade Policy - If you are eligible
RW3

Well here is the sad truth if you are eligible for a phone upgrade. Verizon will not allow you to upgrade to an iPhone 5 at a discounted price. If you purchase and iPhone 5 for the $199 price you will be forced into purchasing one of their new "share" plans and will have to give up your current unlimited data plan. If you want to keep your unlimited data plan and get and iPhone 5 you will have to shell out $649 for the phone. Also they will also slap you with a $30 upgrade fee if you choose to go down the $199 path.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon iPhone 5 Upgrade Policy - If you are eligible
rcschnoor
Legend

Although you will lose your unlimited data if you accept a discounted price on your upgrade, you are not forced onto one of their new "share" plans. You can also choosed tiered data which start at $30 for 2GB/month. You will still get the $30 upgrade fee, though.

Tidbits
Legend

This has been beaten down so hard...

If you buy from a 3rd party retailer this is true.  If you buy directly from Verizon you can keep your current plan, but lose unlimited and have to choose $30 for 2GB or higher plan.  You do not have to get a share everything plan.

0 Likes
RW3

Based on my usage history both my wife and I combined use about 1 GB of data each month. We currently are on an unlimited plan due to here high voice minutes.  This might actually be an opportunity for me to save $$$ if I upgrade and put both our smartphones on a share plan for $80 a month ($40 X 2) and select the $60/month 2GB data plan.

Right now our bill is averaging around $200 a month, switch might save us $20-$40 per month???? All these share plans have unlimited voice and text which is what we really need, and 2GB is more than enough data.

0 Likes
Karenn
Enthusiast - Level 3

Then maybe you should go ahead and switch? Smiley Happy I'm honestly not sure why people are so upset about the share everything plan. Many users don't even use 2GB of data a month. I think the unlimited talk and text is a great deal. It's only $15 for an extra GB anyway. Don't forget the $30 fee for upgrading a device though and check to see if you still have a $50 off deal.

0 Likes