Verizon ipad
arttrue3

Hello, I purchased an iPad Pro 9.7 from an unothorized retailer. Turns out it's a Verizon iPad and it might be bound by contract Or even blacklisted. I did a few checks and it came out clean, I tried a local carrier and it worked all right (outside the US). However, I would like to use a device not bound by anything. This iPad was brought here by someone and resold, never activated before but there might still be a valid contract with Verizon (I still have the Verizon sim card but no idea what the phone number is). Since I'm outside the US I can't use Verizon, and I'd even pay the early termination fee, provided there IS a contract. I'd appreciate some tips on how to do that, the IMEI will be provided, thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon ipad
rcschnoor
Legend

Since you would not be the account owner if there were a contract, there is nothing you could do to pay the ETF if there is one.

Are you sure it was never activated? Best you can do is to take Verizon's SIM card out, put your new card in and hope you are correct that the iPad was never activated and never had the find my iPhone app activated on it where someone would be able to remotely lock the device so that you cannot use it. You should also hope that it wasn't purchased on contract which was never fulfilled and your device becomes unusable when Verizon reports it as such.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Since you would not be the account owner if there were a contract, there is nothing you could do to pay the ETF if there is one.

Are you sure it was never activated? Best you can do is to take Verizon's SIM card out, put your new card in and hope you are correct that the iPad was never activated and never had the find my iPhone app activated on it where someone would be able to remotely lock the device so that you cannot use it. You should also hope that it wasn't purchased on contract which was never fulfilled and your device becomes unusable when Verizon reports it as such.

0 Likes
arttrue3

Thank You for your reply. Well, it was packed, not a single scratch, I did the activation myself and the apple.com coverage check shows it has a 1 year warranty and is eligible for customer support for another 3 months. it doesn't read the embedded apple sim (iPad Pro 9.7). I contacted an apple support guy who said it was tied to Verizon and I should contact them about unlocking that function.

0 Likes
arttrue3

If there is a contract and I'm not the owner, can I at least add credits until the contract expires so it doesn't end up on the blacklist or in case it's already on there to get it off? Thanks

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

arttrue3 wrote:

I contacted an apple support guy who said it was tied to Verizon and I should contact them about unlocking that function.

I doubt you will get any assistance from Verizon for this or if anything actually needs to be done if as you say it works fine with your own SIM card.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

arttrue3 wrote:

If there is a contract and I'm not the owner, can I at least add credits until the contract expires so it doesn't end up on the blacklist or in case it's already on there to get it off? Thanks

Doubtful you will get any assistance from Verizon for this either. If your unauthorized re-seller tried to pull off a fast one with Verizon, I doubt Verizon will be forthcoming in helping them to success by helping you out. If you have a problem, you should return the device to the seller for a refund(if possible) and purchase one from a more reputable dealer.

Unauthorized dealers are often that for a reason and if you purchase from them, you do so at your own risk.

0 Likes
arttrue3

Ok, thank you for your reply. I hope no harm done

0 Likes