Verizon shorted me $297.88 on the $650 trade in credit. What can be done?
EDZ13579

On 12/13/2016, I took advantage of the $650 trade in credit Verizon in Warren NJ was offering to get an iPhone 7 Plus. Amazon was offering $690 for my old phone, but I figured this would be easier than having to ship out my old phone and wait for them to send me a check.

I received an email confirmation from Verizon on 12/14/16 that I was getting the 650 trade in credit.

I convinced my fiancee in Scottsdale AZ to trade her phone in as well.

My store in Warren told me my credit would be spread over 24 months.

A week later when she was ready, her store in Scottsdale gave her an immediate 325 credit on her bill, and told her the remaining 325 credit would be spread over 12 months.

On 11/24/17 I decided to get the iPhone 8 plus. It also is on the device payment plan.

To my surprise, I received an email from Verizon on 11/26/17 saying my promotional credit is over, and that my trade in was only worth 299, even though I have the documentation from them that it was a 650 trade in credit. I was ripped off by $297.88. Obviously it would have been better to sell my phone to Amazon back then.

Since then I've gone to several stores, and all off them say sorry we can't help you, you have to dial 611 and ask for billing. Billing tells me yes I should have gotten the 650, but month after month goes by and still no credit.

At this point I'm thinking the Better Business Bureau, small claims court, and other avenues may be my only recourse. Has anyone had a similar situation, and how did you resolve it? It may be time to switch our entire company off of Verizon to another carrier. I'm not sure if this is fraud, or just incompetence of the folks in billing.

If I had known getting 325 up front and 325 over 12 months was an option (the Warren store never told me it was an option), clearly I would have taken that option, like my fiancee did.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon shorted me $297.88 on the $650 trade in credit. What can be done?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize for any misinformation as I understand that you've addressed this concern multiple times. Our goal is to help you move forward with smooth sailing. To fully assist, respond to the private message. 

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
EDZ13579

Message responded to.

0 Likes
EDZ13579

A week later and no response to the private message. This must be a bot that sends out an automated response so it looks like Verizon cares.

Very disappointing.

0 Likes