Voicemail Notifications
smessen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just received my new iPhone 4s (previously using Droid Incredible) in the mail. I am not that tech savvy, but managed to activate the phone and have been using it for a couple of days. However, I am not getting voicemail notifications. I went through the settings and have an alert selected and am using the default greeting. My sister has left two trial voicemails and I did not get notification for either. I was able to call my voicemail and easily listen to her message. Any tips?  Thanks!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Voicemail Notifications
smessen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Initially, as I said, I was receiving voicemails but no notifications. That lasted about a week. Yesterday, my voicemail box disappeared. I tried calling *86 and entered my phone number and was told there was no associated mailbox. So I broke down and called customer service.

I dialed *611 to speak with customer service. The first person I spoke with was unable to fix the problem and almost immediately transfered me to a different service department. In order to get things fixed, the second service person needed to call me on another line ... so, make sure you have another line available before you call customer service. She told me that the voicemail on the iPhone opperates on a different system so requires new activation. After a couple of minutes, she had me dial *86 on my iPhone. It went straight to voicemail and asked for me to enter my password. Fixed! I told her I previously had problems with notifications so she called my cell phone (while I was on the other line with her) and left a message. A few seconds later I got notification! Fixed! I was very impressed with customer service this time around ... quick fix! (Of course I called at 7am ET so that might have something to do with it ... ).

View solution in original post

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Have you tried contacting VZW tech support about this to make sure there isn't something they need to do on thier end in regards to your VM being properly set up on your iPhone? Did you set up the VM on your iPhone or did you set it up the way you do it with other devices? (The iPhone VM system is different than the one all other VZW devices use although you can still access it by calling your own number like you would on your Droid and other devices). If you did not do it via the instructions in the manual for the iPhone then you need to do that. If you did then I would suggest contacting VZW for further assistance.

Just in case you didn't do it this way I have pasted the info in the manual that can be downloaded from the Apple.com website.

The first time you tap Voicemail, iPhone prompts you to create a voicemail password and record your voicemail greeting.

Change your greeting:

Tap Voicemail, tap Greeting, then tap Custom. Tap Record and say your greeting. When you finish, top Stop.

To review, tap Play. To rerecord, tap Record again. Tap Save when you’re satisfied.

Use your carrier’s default greeting

Tap Voicemail, tap Greeting, then tap Default.

Set an alert sound for new voicemail

Go to Settings > Sounds, then turn New Voicemail on. The alert sounds once for each new voicemail.

If the Ring/Silent switch is off, iPhone won’t sound alerts.

Change the voicemail password

Go to Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password.

0 Likes
smessen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response! I followed the directions you posted above (prior to posting my question). I will try giving Verizon a call to make sure I'm not missing anything.

sox575
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issues. I found that the Voice Mail will give me two audible notifications and that's it and there's no option to set it to "infinity" or "until I acknowledge" the VM like I could on my Droid 1. And I couldn't find an app for it either!

Also, It's supposed to show up in the visible notifications window too, but if you're out of the room at the time the call comes in and miss the audible alert you won't look at the screen.

I have to continuously look at my phone to see if I missed any calls or VMs! One time, I didn't even get any notification and while I was talking to my friend, who called an hour before and left a message, the message came in.

Now I'm having issues where calls are going straight to Voicemail!

If you find a solution to the VM thing please post it here.

0 Likes
smessen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Initially, as I said, I was receiving voicemails but no notifications. That lasted about a week. Yesterday, my voicemail box disappeared. I tried calling *86 and entered my phone number and was told there was no associated mailbox. So I broke down and called customer service.

I dialed *611 to speak with customer service. The first person I spoke with was unable to fix the problem and almost immediately transfered me to a different service department. In order to get things fixed, the second service person needed to call me on another line ... so, make sure you have another line available before you call customer service. She told me that the voicemail on the iPhone opperates on a different system so requires new activation. After a couple of minutes, she had me dial *86 on my iPhone. It went straight to voicemail and asked for me to enter my password. Fixed! I told her I previously had problems with notifications so she called my cell phone (while I was on the other line with her) and left a message. A few seconds later I got notification! Fixed! I was very impressed with customer service this time around ... quick fix! (Of course I called at 7am ET so that might have something to do with it ... ).

sox575
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Smiley Happy

I think I'm having a different issue since my VM is functioning OK, it's just that I either have a delayed notice or the notification only does an audible alert twice.

On my Droid, I could set it to give an audible and visual alert every minute (or other time segment) until I acknowledged the message. That was really handy in case I was out of the room or in a noisy place and didn't hear the phone ring. I'm surprised that's not an option on the iPhone nor could I find an app that would do that.

Now, I must constantly look at my phone to see if there's a VM.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As far as the number of times it alerts you...until or unless Apple creates a setting to control that there likely won't be a "fix" for that. It's not broken...it's just not working the way you are used to it doing on a previous device. According to the owners manual, the voicemail alert only sounds once for each new voicemail so if you're hearing an audible alert twice it probably means you have more than one voicemail that was left. There might be a voicemail app that can help you do what you want to do, but you would have to check the app store to see if anything fits your needs.

LlammaMomma

Wow, this is really an issue.  I have an 88 year old mom and would not like to miss her call if she needs help. I was planning on upgrading my old cell to an iPhone, but may need to rethink this,  she only has a landline, so there is no texting.

0 Likes