What is up with the rebate program (scam)?
Marybeth01

On October 3, 2014 I went to my local Verizon Store to follow up on your televised advertisement offering $200.00 for the trade in of an old iPhone for the new iPhone6.  The customer representative in the store informed me that they were out of the iPhone6, but that I could go on-line and get the same trade in rebate. He promised me that I would not have any problems doing this and he GUARANTEED me the $200.00 rebate.  He also told me that I would receive the rebate before I ever got billed for my new iPhone!!  I promptly went home and completed the on-line instructions for the new phone and the trade in.  I did not have any problems receiving the new iPhone6, but as far as getting the rebate, that has been one problem after another. 

It took me weeks to even receive the paperwork for returning my old IPhone for the rebate.  During this time, I made numerous phone calls, emails, and trips to my local store. Most of the time the recycling phone was busy, my emails went unanswered and the store personnel guaranteed me that I would get my $200.00 rebate!!  When I finally received the packaging to return the phone, I drove to the Verizon store and Bradley Scannapieco (772-359-8110) removed all the personal data and passwords on my device and made sure that “find my iPhone” was turned off (I have confirmation of this).  He again, personally PROMISED me that my phone was in perfect condition and I would receive the $200.00 rebate.  I mailed the phone in the appropriate packaging on October 22, 2014. 

Since mailing it I was never able to track it online and did not hear anything back from Verizon.  Finally, this morning, I received an email with an electronic gift card for $36.00. I feel cheated, misled and completely lied to by Verizon!  I could have sold my old phone, on my own, for much more than $36.00. I was also misled by a myriad of Verizon representatives.  Customers who turned their phones in at the store received the $200.00.  However, some kind of scam went on with mine which was mailed in.  Your store employees who looked at my phone on the first day (I also have documentation of this) and who were responsible for clearing the data GUARANTEED me that Verizon would send my $200.00 rebate.  Why would you want to cheat a customer who has been loyal and who has had a large Verizon plan with you for so many years?  What can you do to rectify this situation?  I await your remediation to this problem!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is up with the rebate program (scam)?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no! I'm saddened to hear about the issue that you've encountered with our Trade-In program. I'd like for you to reach out to the Trade-In team at http://bit.ly/ZIo8Vc or by calling 877-247-3846

VanetrisC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AerisVirga
Enthusiast - Level 2

Was your phone in good working condition? Phone turns on/off, screen free of cracks, no chips, dents, or corrosion on the charger port, no cracks on the rest of the body, no pieces/chunks missing from charger port? Are you sure your activation lock/find my iPhone was turned off? Because if you answered no to any one of those, then you would only receive the regular redemption price of $36.

You can call VZW customer care, 800-922-0204 and speak to customer service, and then in turn talk to the trade in department. They can tell you exactly why you only received $36. More than likely it was either deemed not in good working condition or the find my iPhone was not disabled. As well, I understand the employees looked at your phone to help you out, but they were not 'responsible'. Never leave your money up to someone else. And when you do and it falls through, well...

0 Likes
sasquaty

call trade in program and they can tell you why you got what you did for refund. If it was because Find my phone wasn't turned off you should have received an email confirmation that it was turned off so you can be sure. I did. If you have that email you can forward it confirming it was turned off if that is in fact the case. Once you know why you didn't get full amy send email to support.instore.trade-in.com. The trecycle reps can't do anything, only read back the info as to why yo got what you did.

0 Likes
Blauerieter
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well "scam" is the right term. You spend 30 minutes on hold for the recycle program support phone number and then they hang up. I was told that my phone was cracked when it arrived and it was in perfect working condition when I sent it and the store rep saw it. They still gave me $76 but not the promotional $124 I was supposed to get. It may be a third party but its still Verizon so they are responsible. This is all a scam to make more profit and I wouldn't doubt that Vertizon is in on it. They have missed deadlines they had promised and they keep you on hold forever. This is not how you treat a customer if you expect customer loyalty. I have already started to tell people to not see this as real, its all a bait and switch thing to frustrate a consumer so we go away. I think its time they take this program back and get it straightened out. I have friends who use ATT and they get incredible servive when they have a problem. No way I recommend Verizon to anyone, its just the principle of it all. I only wish I didn't have a 2 year contract as I would be gone. There will come a time when they will have to rely on customer service and I won't be there. Since I am a veteran I am in contact with many fellow veterans and I have been telling them go anywhere but verizon, they bait you then disappear. I doubt there is much anyone can do since they don't answer the phone and if they do they transfer you somewhere that gets lost in the void or the person you speak to can't help. I'm done, if my $124 means so much to the profit line of the company then they can have it but when my contract is up , I'm out. They can say all the BS they want on the commercials about the coverage, they can't take care of the customers so who cares about the coverage. I long for the day that my contract is up so they can have room to screw over someone else. This whole experience disgusts me.

HH100
Enthusiast - Level 1

At least you got the $124. I got nothing except promises and the same runaround after purchasing my new phone the first week it was announced. I have the same feelings of disgust. The salespeople lie. The customer service people lie. We get angry and frustrated and eventually go away. I posted to theripoffreport.com. How can Verizon get away with such deception and outright advertising fraud?

Corvus77
Enthusiast - Level 1

I didn't receive anything for my phone. Y'all just took and never sent me my $200. Fix this problem!