Why Is The Wi-Fi setting Not Available On My Device?
Bcollins8989

My Wi-fi doesn't even give me the option to turn it on.  It it completely grayed out.

I have reset the network settings 3 times and re-started my phone 5 times in the last week to try to fix this issue and nothing has changed.  Please help so I can avoid using all the data on my family's plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-fi is grayed out - not available
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you've tried the obvious steps, have you tried doing a full phone factory reset? Back up your phone to iTunes or iCloud, then erase it entirely. Set it up as a NEW Phone (don't restore your backup quite yet), and see if the Wi-Fi option starts to work. If it works, erase the phone again and see if after restoring from backup, the Wi-Fi continues to work.

If it doesn't work with a factory reset, the Wi-Fi on your iPhone is most likely not working.

If the Wi-Fi works after a reset, but doesn't work when your phone has been restored from a backup, there is either corruption in some data your Backup contains, or an application/device management profile is restricting your ability to use the Wi-Fi.

To confirm if the Wi-Fi hardware isn't detected, open Settings, select General, select About. Look for a "Wi-Fi MAC" field. This field must be populated with a 12 character hexadecimal string, such as: "AA:BB:CC:DD:11:22". If it is blank, the Wi-Fi hardware is not detected in the phone. Apple will need to repair or replace the phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure wifi is working is very important to preventing overages Bcollins8989. I'm sorry it's grayed out but we will help with getting this resolved. Did you have any software updates recently? What phone do you have? Any changes to your home internet service?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you've tried the obvious steps, have you tried doing a full phone factory reset? Back up your phone to iTunes or iCloud, then erase it entirely. Set it up as a NEW Phone (don't restore your backup quite yet), and see if the Wi-Fi option starts to work. If it works, erase the phone again and see if after restoring from backup, the Wi-Fi continues to work.

If it doesn't work with a factory reset, the Wi-Fi on your iPhone is most likely not working.

If the Wi-Fi works after a reset, but doesn't work when your phone has been restored from a backup, there is either corruption in some data your Backup contains, or an application/device management profile is restricting your ability to use the Wi-Fi.

To confirm if the Wi-Fi hardware isn't detected, open Settings, select General, select About. Look for a "Wi-Fi MAC" field. This field must be populated with a 12 character hexadecimal string, such as: "AA:BB:CC:DD:11:22". If it is blank, the Wi-Fi hardware is not detected in the phone. Apple will need to repair or replace the phone.

0 Likes