Why can't I activate an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s?
CalvinZ

Around a year ago I purchased an unlocked iPhone 5s from the Apple store and gave it to my relative to use in X carrier. He has no use for it now so I've decided to get it back as a "bring in" device and add another line onto my family plan. But "The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network." when I tried to check on the Verizon website. I've tried inserting an active Verizon SIM card into the 5s, the word "Verizon" appeared on the top left corner with no signal for 5-10 seconds before it goes back to "No Service". I've went to a Verizon store saying the same problem and all they told me was the iPhone 5s was not unlocked. I've called apple technical support to check and they confirmed me that the iPhone 5s is unlocked and says it's on the Verizon network. Apple then told me the problem is more on Verizon's end. Now here I am trying to get an answer for this phone. Model is A1533 so it should work no matter if its CDMS or GSM. So what I want to know is what do I need to do to get the iPhone 5s added onto a new line in my family plan?

Things I've tried:

Using PUK code to unlock the sim did nothing

Reset Network settings did nothing

Putting on/off airplane mode gets it searching for the network again (disappears after 5-10)

There was an option on the 5s where it does "Automatic search" for networks. I turned it off and AT&T/T-Mobile showed up. But wasn't what I was looking for.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.
Weth
Legend

There are actually 2 forms of the A1533 iPhone 5S.  The ATT A1533 model's CDMA radio is hardware disabled.  The Verizon A1533 has the CDMA enabled of course.  This is different than locked and unlocked.  You have a ATT  A1533.   Without CDMA, the phone won't work on Verizon.

GSM A1533/A1532 = CDMA Disabled & No way to Enable it!

CDMA A1533/A1532 = GSM + CDMA Enabled

iPhone 5s - Technical Specifications

Understanding the iPhone 5C/5S All-In-One AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon Model | MacRumors Forums

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.
pherson
Champion - Level 1

It's unlocked for gsm but not cdma like Verizon or sprint. Sell it and get a compatible phone.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There are actually 2 forms of the A1533 iPhone 5S.  The ATT A1533 model's CDMA radio is hardware disabled.  The Verizon A1533 has the CDMA enabled of course.  This is different than locked and unlocked.  You have a ATT  A1533.   Without CDMA, the phone won't work on Verizon.

GSM A1533/A1532 = CDMA Disabled & No way to Enable it!

CDMA A1533/A1532 = GSM + CDMA Enabled

iPhone 5s - Technical Specifications

Understanding the iPhone 5C/5S All-In-One AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon Model | MacRumors Forums

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I activate an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s?
carolyn33redred

The problem is with Apple.  They want you to buy a new phone every 5 years so they can keep themselves in business.   I stopped using Apple products for this reason.  My mother has the same phone for 8 years and it works fine for her.  But all she does is text and call and does a few apps.  No Apple phone would ever last that long.  I had a 5s i phone and had the same thing happen to me. 

0 Likes
Re: Why can't I activate an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5s?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We cannot guarantee that non-Verizon devices are compatible with our network.  

CheyenneS_VZW

0 Likes