Re: Why don't I receive Wireless Emergency Alerts on my iPhone 4?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Deb3!

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are sent to all customers with WEA-capable devices in specific areas affected by an event. Customers who are visiting an affected area will receive an alert if their devices are WEA capable. Here's some additional information: http://vz.to/17ABj04

Thanks!

Christina_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would love the opportunity to address your concerns about  emergency alerts. The iPhone 4 does offer  weather/emergency alerts. You can search the App Store for applications that can possibly provide you with the alerts you're looking for. Have a great day.

Chauncey_VZW

0 Likes
tim613

Why has this question remained unanswered?  Although there have been some good alternatives suggested, the fundamental question needs to be answered.  Verizon???

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Tim as a suggestion you might check with your Local Verizon Comm store or Call Customer Service 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your mobile choose Option 3 for Technical Service and ask what there take is on this feature as it may differ from state to state how it's Used.. 

0 Likes
Bevvtfl

If you to to the following site, it will explain that Iphone 4's are not able to receive the WEA signal even though they have IOS 6.1.3. It only lists the 4S and the 5 as capable.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/wea_devices.html

I used the recommendation of calling 611 and got a very helpful person.

I am wondering if the new IOS update will bring the iphone 4 into that capability.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Bevvtfl!

Making sure you receive any sort of emergency alert is super important! I dug deep to find as much information as possible regarding Apple devices.

I reached out for additional information regarding if the update will push this capability to the iPhone 4 and if this list will be updated when/if it does.

I've followed you so I can send you an update when I receive this information! Please accept my follow so I can send you private messages. Thanks!

Melissa_VZW

0 Likes
icerabbitje
Enthusiast - Level 3

( I cannot believe the very poor responses from VZW representatives! Do they even read the questions? And responses? So sad to see them completely miss the point. Anyway ... )

I was puzzled by this issue this morning, as I wanted to check the emergency alert settings on my iPhone, and couldn't find anything related to emergency, government, etc under notifications.

So, here's the answer I found in a roundabout way via CTIA coming back to Verizon's own website:

-----

Wireless Emergency Alert Capable Devices

Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEAs) are free wireless notifications that are delivered to your mobile device as part of a new public safety system provided by Authorized Senders. They are designed to inform you of imminent threats to safety or missing persons alerts in your area.

In order to receive WEAs, you must have a capable device and be located in an area (e.g., county) targeted by Authorized Senders to receive the alert.

Click your device name below to view instructions for optional settings for Wireless Emergency Alerts. This device list will change as new WEA enabled devices are introduced or updated.

• Apple®
    • iPhone 4S*
    • iPhone 5*
  • BlackBerry®

... /etc/ ...

-----

http://support.verizonwireless.com/information/wea_devices.html

So, even though you have iOS6, the VZW iPhone 4 is NOT capable of receiving these WEA messages.

I have not looked further as to how/why ... but that should at least sort out the issue why iPhone 4 users don't get the alerts, nor see the options under notifications.

0 Likes
Pknighten

Hi there Verizon so i am having trouble finding the goverment alerts it is not in my notifcations i have a iphone 4 8gb so is there any update or what do i need to have this option????

0 Likes
icerabbitje
Enthusiast - Level 3

As replied in my post above yours (see link and copy/past of VZW compatible alert devices in my post above yours):

The iPhone 4 is not capable to receive them / not compatible with these government alerts.

No software update will fix it, or we would already have had it, I believe.

The alerts are currently received on the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5, and most likely on every new iphone released in the future.

On the iPhone 4S and 5, the two government alert toggles are in there own little section are at the very very bottom of the notifications list screen, hidden below every other app.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Cancel this email, it is annoying the jivesoftware.com If this is coming from the Verizon wireless community

I don't want it.

Personal information removed in accordance with the Terms of Service.

To control email notifications from the community, click on your username in the upper-right hand corner. Then click "Edit preferences" and turn off notifications.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes