Re: Why don't people like iPhones?
technomom
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's not that I don't like iPhone.  I actually think it's not a bad little phone.   The problem is that for the function that it provides, it is overpriced.   It doesn't provide true multitasking, widgets, voice activated turn-by-turn navigation, tight integration with Google and a host of other functions that I depend upon.

For the money I pay for iPhone, I expect to get more than Android.    But you simply do not get more.  You get a little more polish, but very little function. 

zeelad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very good response.  I took forever to go to a smartphone and went with the 4S.  Apple continues to astound me.  Their quality if unsurpassed.  I just wrecked my iPhone, totally my fault, dumped it into a creek, had insurance got a new one and it downloaded from the Cloud and I hardly missed a beat.  The way I like to put it is that Apple is so far ahead of everyone else they are already coming back from the party and the others think they are ahead because they just "passed" Apple, don't even realize Apple's been there, done that.  Really see that in computers.  And I haven't even touched their quality.

0 Likes
louisagresti
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could not agree more,same goes for any Apple product,maybe someday some of these devoted fanboys will wake up and realize Apple is robbing them blind

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

One could say the same about Android...  There's always two sides of the same group, and everyone ends up picking the extreme side of the group to validate their claim.  Most people honestly do not care, and use what they want to use, and ignore all the fanboys telling them why they shouldn't use it.

0 Likes
alex2363
Enthusiast - Level 1

they hate iphones because most people cant afford one

0 Likes
louisagresti
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sure i could afford one but why pay for a phone that is not worth the asking price,do not get me wrong i like the Iphone,just do not like Apples attitude in how they price around the name, rather then the materials they use to build it.

0 Likes
maxfrix

Wow, how ridiculous. There are plenty of people walking around with $600 cell phones that don't have steady jobs or are students and such. Anybody that cares that much about having a fancy phone somehow seems to be able to prioritize their situation in order to have one whether it's an iphone or another brand.

0 Likes
marcelo_g
Enthusiast - Level 1

Please, the iPhone 3GS is now $99 and if I'm not mistaken so is the iPhone 4.  It's not that people can't afford it, it's having to pay for support on it.  Why pay $70+ when an android can be troubleshot at a store and not speak to "geniuses" that will do the same thing a carrier technician can do?  Go ahead, throw your money away and wonder why this country is in a recession. Probably drive a huge gas-guzzling vehicle too and keep gas prices hiking.  Android has a bigger market share in the U.S. and in the world now because it's free and open. 

ASLgeek3
Enthusiast - Level 1

zeelad wrote:

Very good response.  I took forever to go to a smartphone and went with the 4S.  Apple continues to astound me.  Their quality if unsurpassed.  I just wrecked my iPhone, totally my fault, dumped it into a creek, had insurance got a new one and it downloaded from the Cloud and I hardly missed a beat.  The way I like to put it is that Apple is so far ahead of everyone else they are already coming back from the party and the others think they are ahead because they just "passed" Apple, don't even realize Apple's been there, done that.  Really see that in computers.  And I haven't even touched their quality.

That's the thing though Apple isn't ahead of everyone when it comes to cell phones. When the iPhone first came out yea they were ahead by leaps and bounds but now they have gotten behind. While every smartphone runs on 4G capabilities even if it isn't in your area iPhone is still on 3G and that may change when the newer iPhone is released but they will be late to the 4G party. Google's had an easy sync where I don't lose my emails, downloads, settings for as long as I can remember. Grouping apps, Google had it-- Apple just introduced it with iPhone 4 I believe. FFC on tablets were running on every standard Android tablet iPad just got it on the iPad 2. Don't get me wrong when Apple does finally do something it's somewhat flawless (and I say somewhat flashing back to the epic antenna fail of iPhone 4) but they are hardly the first to any party at this point and I wouldn't even say that they do it better but there products are good quality.

Mark_Venture
Contributor - Level 1

technomom wrote:

...For the money I pay for iPhone, I expect to get more than Android.    But you simply do not get more.  You get a little more polish, but very little function. 

I have to agree with you there.    I just got an iPhone 4S 32gig for work.  (I've had a personal iPod Classic, and got an iPad2 64gig Wifi for the wife on its release day).    The UI and applications feel more consistent, polished and clean.  But that is where my "praise" would stop.

Having used cell phones since 1993,   and everything from feature phones to smart phones, blackberries, android, windows mobile, etc.   The iPhone just feels "basic."

Navigating folders in my corporate email box is a pain. 

While I use google services like Gmail, Gtalk, etc.  since this is my work phone, those services are not as important.  Things like accepting calendar appointments (via exchange active sync) take extra steps (they come in as attachments, that I have to open twice before I can accept/decline/mark tentative). 

With the layout of many of the on-screen controls,  like the "back" function in the upper left,  I'm glad this is only a 3.5" screen or I'd have to reposition my hand each time I'd try and hit it.  (example: while reading an email the button to go back to the inbox is in the top left corner and the next/prev buttons are in the top right).

Since the mail icon is at the bottom of each of the "home" screens,  it having an idicator on it for new mail is good.  But other apps, and things,  you have to scroll through to see the icons if they have anything new (like Xfinity Mobile, Gmail app, TWC app, etc).  I haven't yet used the Facebook app to see what it or its notifications are like.   It doesn't appear that I can change the sounds used to notifiy me in the Xfinity, Gmail or MSLinc apps.

I miss the FREE Google Maps Navigation (with voice) of my Android devices.  Mapquest for Mobile at least is usable on the iPhone for a free voice turn by turn navigation app but its not as good. 

The "iPod" music player feature is good, but that is expected.  However, I still miss some of the features of my old Creative NoMad ZEN Usb 2.0.

But just like my Moto Xoom compared to our iPad2,  I can do more on the Xoom, and easily, just not as polished.

0 Likes