Why is data doubling on iPhone 5?
Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same. Exact. Issue. Have you had any luck figuring out what caused this? I had to double my data and I'm 5 days in and already at 1.5 gig. I NEVER used more than 3 and now I am pushing 10-12. This is some [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] and Apple points finger at Verizon and vise verse.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is data doubling on iPhone 5?
Weth
Legend

Did you close all apps and then reboot the phone?

I would also look at the battery usage report (settings / Battery) and data usage report (settings / Cellular) and see what app(s) are using the batter and the data. It will likely be the same one. Delete that app. You can try to reinstall, but if it recurs, it may be a bad app update and you will need to wait until the app developer fixes it.

Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem is, my data is being consumed by Apple Music, or so it seems. I've always streamed music and never had an issue with data and that was 6gigs. Plus, Verizon says its Communications and Data, not even music that is causing this issue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Change the bit rate for music streaming. I'm guessing the music is playing at a better quality then what it was before and using more data in the process.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sadly, I have "higher quality over cellular" turned off. I wish it was that simple.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jtaylor8683, I know that data surprises are no fun. We want to make sure to get to the bottom of this usage for you. Communications and Data doesn't sound like Apple Music would be the problem. Are you using any apps for video calls or live feeds? What other things do you use your phone for?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I do not chat via Facetime or do any video calling what so ever. I am pretty tech savvy, so I understand how to quickly rack up data. I have had NO issues until recent. 6 gigs worked perfect for me, and I streamed music for hours a day, now all of a sudden, I am getting hit hard with data usage. I have NEVER had Communications and Data even register in my usage, so what is the deal?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Josh, I can understand your concern regarding data usage, I will look into this further. The category Communications and Data includes music streaming. You can actually see which of your applications are using the most data by going to:

Tap on "Cellular," then scroll down to "Cellular Data Usage." You'll see your data usage (sending and receiving) over the cellular network for each application.

More information on how to monitor your data: http://vz.to/1qGBUwa

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

For one, my streaming has NEVER once caused me to go over my shared 6 gigs. I work an hour away, and I would stream both to and from work. Never had any issues. Then, when my family went on a small trip just south of Indianapolis, I started getting notices that my data usages was growing. I wasn't on wifi, so I didn't stream movies, just music (at times). Now, ever since that 5 hour trip south, my Communication and Device Service has been skyrocketing.

When I check, it shows my Apple Music at 694mb of the 1.5gigs used by my phone. And what is really weird, everything else is KBs except for a couple 100mbs apps - so the other gig is a little shocking to me. If I add up what is using cellular, I don't think the math is going pan out.

0 Likes
Jtaylor8683
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, did some math.

I used 3,829.4 kbs (3.83mb) and 1040 mb (1.04 gigs), which equals about 1.0192 gigs. So please tell me where half a gig is coming from, because it's not from my music or apps.

I'm glad I did the math, now it proves things are not on the up and up. You might want to have customer service call me.

0 Likes