Re: Why won't Verizon unlock the iPhone 4s for domestic carriers?
deloused
Master - Level 3

Sprint?

0 Likes
BrianRoller

T-Mobile, Sprints plans were a joke when you really looked at it

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Even though TMobile lied to you and told you that a device that does not contain a gsm radio compatible with their frequencies could be 'unlocked' and work when it doesn't have the hardware inside the phone? An employee should certainly be able to help guide you and give you correct information since that's what they do for a living. On a side note, because you have a 4s and the Sprint network is CDMA like Verizon's I have known people that have put a sprint SIM card in the 4s and were able to get it to work after Verizon unlocked it. I switched to Sprint from Verizon in September for 3 of my lines to save money). I did shop TMobile first, but my mom is legally blind and they didn't have any phones with keys that she could see and feel well (they only sell smartphones) and the startup/costs were less as TMobile does not discount any phones. I also personally dislike that TMobile charges customers for SIM cards and to process a warranty replacement when other carriers like Verizon and Sprint do not. I hope it works well for you over there and that you can still see a cost savings on your bill as 4 device payment plans would add about $20-30 per month per phone for each one purchased on their payment plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mitch2, I know the importance of understanding your options when it comes to unlocking devices. While our members are providing great information surrounding this issue; I want to be as helfpul as possible in understanding these policies, as well. Here's a link with more details on our Device Unlock policy for your review: http://bitly.com/1BDQy5r.

TanishaS1_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

0 Likes
Mitch22

I would appreciate some support, I have read Verizon's policy. It indicates:

"The SIM cards used in our 3G Global Ready phones are locked.  By the end of January, 2015, we will unlock those SIM cards at your request once you have fulfilled the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement and your balance is current."

I have made the request with three different agents, one indicated that it can only be unlocked for international use (not domestic), one indicated that Apple has to unlock it (Apple's website indicates that it is unlocked), and the other one just put me back in the queue because he didn't want to deal with it. I just want it unlocked for domestic use, I don't want the run around. I had a great experience with Verizon's phone service, but am leaving because of the lack of customer service I have experienced for 15 years. Since 1999, I have not tried a different carrier, but now I've had the run around too many times. Don't send me another link, at a minimum tell me who to ask for when I call customer service and provide the phone number to call so we are on the same page. Simple easy instructions, no more policy links, no more run around.

0 Likes
beth-Annoyed-with-Ver

the link includes this tidbit, does it apply to iPhone 4S:           

• The SIM cards used in our 3G Global Ready phones are locked.  By the end of January, 2015, we will unlock those SIM cards at your request once you have fulfilled the term of your service contract or Edge installment sales agreement and your balance is current.
0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It appears the iPhone 4S is not software locked by hardware locked from domestic carriers. My sources indicate there is nothing that can be done on a 4S to unlock for domestic carriers as it s hardware encoded into the device by Apple, probably at the request of Verizon.

0 Likes
beth-Annoyed-with-Ver

They will not be unlocking for domestic use.

Lobby for change is only possible by snail mail to this address:

Verizon Wireless
Attn: Correspondence Team
PO Box 5029

Wallingford, CT 06492

no phone number

no email

Write now, Verizon is stealing our phones for no reason whatsoever, it is technically feasible just "policy" to keep iPhone 4s purchasers from using the phone with other carriers. You cannot even consider selling or gifting to someone who is not using Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You have to convince Apple to open the support for the 4S in order for this to be fixed. Even if Verizon can request the change it is still ultimately up to Apple to make the changes which isn't going to happen going forward honestly.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

That what I've been told also.

0 Likes