Wi-Fi Calling keeps dropping calls after a few minutes
gordonf238
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue began occurring 2 months ago.  At the time, my wife and I were using iPhone 11 and 12 Pro.  Verizon cell phone coverage in our neighborhood is very poor, so Wi-Fi Calling has always been the way we make calls from home.  We have had Verizon Wireless for a number of years, and Wi-Fi Calling has never been an issue.  

As our ISP, we use Verizon Fios with 1Gbps speed.  I routinely conduct timeout, ping, and broadband speed checks, and our internet connection is solid.  Though as a precaution, I have rebooted our router a number of times.

3 weeks ago, we've upgraded to iPhone 13 Pro, and I was hoping the issue would be fixed.  However, it has not.  The problem appears to be with Verizon's Wi-Fi calling protocols.  After a few minutes on the call, the other party no longer hears me.  I hear them just fine, but they cannot hear me.  I can hang-up, and call them back, and the issue returns after a few minutes.

I have spoken with Verizon Wireless tech support, and they have opened a ticket.  It's been a few days, and I have not heard back yet. 

These are the steps we've already taken:

- Reset network settings on both iPhones

- Downloaded latest iOS (15.1)

- Rebooted our phones

- Rebooted our home modem

The Wi-Fi signal strength is strong (the router is in our home office, from where we conduct most of our calls).

I really wish someone in Verizon's tech support would escalate this issue.  I am happy to be on the phone with them to try and replicate it, and hopefully they can run a diagnostic test that will reveal where the issue is occurring. 

There seems to be a wide range of topics similar to this on Verizon forums, but none seem to offer any solution.  

Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any tips or comments, I'm all ears! 🙂

Labels (1)
Re: Wi-Fi Calling keeps dropping calls after a few minutes
gordonf238
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just following-up.  I spoke with Verizon tech support.  They've apparently created a ticket.  Last update I received was a week ago that the ticket was being worked on, and most are resolved in 24-48 hours.  Since then I've received no updates.  No one e-mailed or called back.  It's odd, because we have 6 devices on Verizon Wireless, and this type of neglect is what ultimate drives people to utilize other carriers.  

Dropped Wifi calls
stevebelisle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Completely agree. I'm experiencing the same issues with an Samsung s20+ and AT&T ISP (fiber).

Re: Dropped Wifi calls
rabNC
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was there ever any solution to this problem? I have the same issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want this resolved ASAP.  A private message has been sent to assist you further.

-Sean

0 Likes
Squeakie42
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support -- this has been going on since I got a new phone & Verizon switched to 5G.  Have had many contacts with tech support.  They replaced the sim card most recently; within a week, call-dropping began again -- 2-4 times per call.

Never had this problem with previous phone or pre-5G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! We understand that you are experiencing an issue with your service. We are here to help! Please send us a Private Message for immediate assistance!

*Kay

0 Likes
Kamdonf

Switch to AT&T.  I had AT&T for 20 years, and was convinced to go to Verizon because they supposedly had the best Network in America they oversubscribe their Network and provide false readings you think you are getting full bars in 5G, which must be a lie because I can sit in front of a Verizon 5G tower and not be able to access the Internet. Going back to AT&T as soon as my promotion ends.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a valued Verizon customer, we'd certainly regret losing you, and we'd like to continue our partnership with you.  Your account concerns are our concerns too, and we're here to help in any way we can.

Issues with your network service? That's certainly not the experience we want for you or any of our customers. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Can you tell us more about which of your services is being affected? (e.g., calls, text, web browsing, etc.) How long have you been experiencing service issues? Is this happening while you're indoors, outdoors, or both?

I know we can help, so let's work together to get this resolved.

-Robert C.

0 Likes
Hisgirl777
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am also having this issue to the point we cannot have a call without it either 

A. Being dropped

B. The caller can no longer hear me

C. The caller's voice sound robotic

We have little to no verizon coverage at my house even though I am in a city with great coverage. We are on AT&T fiber wifi with a verizon extender.  

This is causing extreme problems with important calls and I'm over it. If we can't get this resolved quickly, I will be changing carriers.