iOS 6 Data Leak Fix for the iPhone 4S?
Liss0101

I appears Apple has rolled out a software fix for the iPhone 5 that updates the Carrier Settings to Verizon 13.1, but said fix is for the iPhone 5 only. What are we owners of the 4S who upgraded to iOS 6 to do? Obviously there is a problem, as illustrated in the attached chart.

DataUsage.PNG

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: iOS 6 Data Leak Fix for the iPhone 4S?
Bharman

I am having the same issue. For the last year I have averaged 466mb per month but after I installed ios 6 I have used 1.5gbs in 3/4 of a month...

I would love an answer on this.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Shut off IPv6 if you can. See if that works

0 Likes
gma2546

Ever since the upgrade to iOS 6, streaming has been terrible. I do not see much difference in the amount of data I use, but before the upgrade, I could stream radio on my 4s all day at work without a hitch. Now, it buffers every 20 seconds or so. It's especially bad from about 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sometimes I cannot even check my mail or twitter feed. Very annoying. Does any else have this problem?

0 Likes
difair

I am also having an issue with data usage. I have averaged about 1.5G of data a month. In the last 3 days my iPhone 4S has gobbled over 8G and is still going. I called and asked Verizon whats going on and they said there is a known bug and to continue using the phone as usual. Argh! (and of course my battery life is about 3 hours - even when I'm not using it)

0 Likes
wowger

Is Verizon offering any solution?  I have the same  problem. Data doubled in one month.

0 Likes
u2met86

Good news for iPhone 4S users on all carriers: iCloud is the culprit. And here's the fix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=-qezboCfNm4

Thanks to Josh Centers.

Settings > iCloud > scroll down > Delete Account > Keep files on iPhone.

iCloud on iOS 6 is only supposed to use WiFi, but it's also eating up 1-2 KB of 3G data every second, yet Apple and AT&T customer service (I'm an AT&T user) are both >Profanity removed< worthless and refuse to acknowledge this. You have to delete the account, even if all options say "Off" it still leaks data, and you'll either get overcharged or have your speed throttled.

I average 1-1.5GB of 3G data / month. October 2012 since the iOS 6 update, I used 3.5GB. That's 2-3x and my habits haven't changed. Also, my billing cycle starts today on the 20th. I fell asleep (with WiFi connected to my hi-speed router) at 10pm last night. I woke up this morning at 8-9am, checked my data, and my phone had used 33MB... >Profanity removed< I tried the above fix at 9am, deleted my iCloud account, checked my data around 1pm and it had stayed flat at 33MB.

Hope this helps folks.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
HKRB
Enthusiast - Level 2

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I have been scratching my head over this since I got my 4S in October and have been hemorrhaging data and trying to turn off various push notifications, uninstall programs completely, etc. I'm going to monitor my usage and see what happens. You are 100% right about both carrier and Apple customer service being completely useless. Profanity removed, indeed. Profanity removed.

0 Likes
HKRB
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've also posted more details of my saga here - I encourage everyone to comment. We need to convince Verizon that it's not right for them to charge us for data we weren't actually supposed to be using.

http://ios6data.wordpress.com/

0 Likes
AdnanWazir
Enthusiast - Level 1

wow.... I am also going through the same.... opened a case with verizon but can get anything more than "we are looking into it"... My icloud was turned off.... but it still went ahead and deleted the account.... lets see if that helps. i hope it does but its not going to help with the prior data usage.... i plan to request verizon for the credit.... lets see if this helps, first.

0 Likes