iPhone 12 Pro 5G UW Not Working
jjones3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Essentially my phone will work fine on LTE or 5G, but as soon I walk into a 5G UW area the Internet just stops. It doesn't say I have no service, in fact I have full bars with the 5G UW symbol, it just stops working. No pages load, no apps using the Internet work. I feel like this is probably an issue with the phone, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Edit: Chicago region

Labels (1)
144 Replies
Fl381
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’ve opened half a dozen or more tickets with VZW for this issue since it started in January 2022. I’ve replaced SIM cards used an eSim, reset network settings, updated the phone, tried to access 5GUW in different states, same outcome.  No network connection on 5GUW.  Verizon support promises to call me back and follow through and does not.  Within a couple days I get a text that says my problem is resolved.  It is not.  

I am contacting my state attorney general and registering a compliant and asking for an investigation.   There’s plenty of other people here with the same problem.  Two 5G phones on my account have the problem so it’s not a fluke.  Verizon needs to get their act together. 

dsakure82009d

Great idea about contacting the state Attorney General!

0 Likes
KH2022
Enthusiast - Level 1

Definitely going to do the same. All I see is 3 months of people complaining and just BOT responses from another country. We pay a lot for Verizon. If it’s not working turn it off!!!! 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KH2022, no bots here! We're all reps concerned that you are seeing issues with your services. May we have you fill us in further on what specific issues you are coming across? Is the issue with calls, texts, and/or data? Are you in an area that has 5G UW when the issue occurs. You can view our coverage map here: https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/

-Christine

0 Likes
zintax

Having the same problem here in Brooklyn. iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.3.1, physical SIM (the one that came with the phone), and whenever I see 5G UW as the connection, I have no data connectivity. I haven't really been able to troubleshoot, because I don't seem to have 5G UW coverage at home...only when I'm traveling elsewhere around town (so I'm not really in a position to reset the phone or anything like that then). Coverage map says that I *should* be getting UW when I'm at home, but I see regular 5G (which works fine).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want you to get the best network experience possible, zintax! I know how amazing the 5G UW speeds can be, so we want to make sure your phone works when connected to it. Is your phone set to 5G Auto? This link has the steps on how to check: http://spr.ly/6602KoRv6

-Nikki

0 Likes
zintax

Yes, the phone is set to 5G Auto

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

5GUnderWhelming123, we are truly sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your service. Are you having any issue with calls or text messages? When did this begin? Have you noticed if this happens immediately when entering a specific area? If so, may I have the nearest cross streets? 

-LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mclucinda

I have this happen every time I enter 5G uw internet just shuts off.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know it's important to have the best service available to you, Mclucinda. When did this issue start? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

*Rebecca

0 Likes
Goggles431
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro and Verizon can't seem to resolve. 

0 Likes
FrustradedLAuser

Same here, L.A. metro area no service.  I was able to access at SoFi stadium when it first opened, but for the past 2 month no service.  I've contacted Verizon kept getting message they were working on it and received final resolved message. I'm still having problems.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Goggles431. We are very sorry to hear about any trouble that has come up with using the 5G UW signal on your iPhone 12 Pro. We certainly want to make sure that using data with the Verizon Wireless network is working correctly. When did this first start happening?  -Brett

0 Likes
annodominum

I have an iPhone 12 with iOS 15.2.1 and Verizon Do more unlimited plan $50

I never had nor am I having any problems connecting to 5G UW Verizon data.

The 5GUW access is included in all plans as far as I know.

My wife has iPhone 12 pro max with iOS 15.2.1 and as soon as she comes into 5GUW signal it disconnects data completely.

if my phone works that means it’s not a Verizon issue. Looks like Apple needs to update software for iPhone 12 pro max and up.

0 Likes
abdevinney
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is happening with my iPhone 13 as well. My city just went 5GUW across the entire city and nothing ever loads. I actually turned off the 5G and am using LTE with no issues but I’m annoyed because we pay a lot for our phones and data

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to get the most out of your phone and the services we offer, abdevinney. Allow us to gather more information to be on the same page, does your phone show the 5G UW signal indicator while you are within 5G UW coverage? ~Vic

0 Likes
Ruby15
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m having the same issue in the Chicago area. It started on Wednesday just west of the city and occurred again right downtown. 5GUW rendered my internet and all apps useless. I couldn’t order ahead for food, use GPS, or pay for parking. I couldn’t switch to 5G or LTE either, so my expensive smart phone became pretty dumb. I’ve had my phone done 10/2020 and this is the first time I’ve had the problem, so this is isn’t an issue of me changing a setting.

me_epst
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having exactly the same problem.

I had no problem with LTE ... or 5G... ever... had my iPhone 12 Pro since they were released last year.

HOWEVER:  I have never seen (that I remember) a verion "5G U/W" connection... but 5G always worked.

NOW HOWEVER:  I've started to see 5G UW sometimes.. and whenever I see that I need to switch the cellular mode to LTE and turn off 5G because.. 5G UW just hangs with no network connectivity.

chunkyblamm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to both apple and Verizon yesterday and was told it’s the network.  Even though the phone picks up the 5GUW signal it’s too weak to properly function based on your location.  They basically explained to me, not in these words, that the network is still in its infancy and unless you’re right underneath the pole that broadcasting it’s unusable.  Probably rolled this out a little too early.  They should make an option to turn off 5guw but leave 5G on.  For now I’ll just continue to use LTE I guess

Leeman82
Enthusiast - Level 1

What’s sad is that you posted this months ago…and I’m still having the issue with 5G UW only not working. I’m running IOS 15 as well. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is certainly not the experience you should be having. Let's see about getting that corrected. Are you using the SIM Card your new device came with?

NoahS_VZW

0 Likes