iPhone 4 and MMS Messaging Does Not Work!
Penguin40

Is anyone else having a problem when sending a picture message with their iPhone that the message gets to about 99% and then fails? You get the option to retry...I took tons of pictures this Memorial Day weekend and could not get them to go through. One attempt 6 times, retry - all failed.

What do I do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4 and MMS Messaging Does Not Work!
Not applicable

If they are consistently failing, it's most likely a phone setting preventing them from going through.  Go to settings> messages> and turn MMS messaging on.  MMS (picture messaging) must be enabled in order to send them.

MMS also requires data to be working.  Ensure that your data is working by going under settings> general> network> cellular data & data roaming need to be turned on. Note if you turn data roaming on, we do not charge for roaming unless you leave the United States.  We cover all 50 states. 

It may be network related as well.  To reprogram the phone, just dial *228 Send, and choose option 1.  

Let us know what worked or if we can help further.  

0 Likes
dan071978

I am having the same issue and have had the following steps taken without success:

1.  *228 update

2.  Settings reset of phone

3.  Full reset of phone and reactivation

4.  Replacement new iPhone4 sent

5.  Repeated #1, #2 and #3 on the replacement phone (a number of times over)

6.  Verified all settings (e.g. MMS on, data roaming on, wifi off)

7.  Test sent a message to myself (1 succeeded but all others have failed since)

At this point, a ticket has been submitted to the engineering group, but my frustration is quickly growing (especially after 2 weeks of countless hours on the phone w/Verizon support).  Has anyone been able to solve your MMS'ing issues?  If so, do you know what actions were taken to correct it?

A little more background as well.  Text messages are functioning normally.  The internet can be "spotty", despite having 4 out of 5 bars and a 3G connection.  For whatever reason, I didn't get any of my emails between 11 p.m. EST and 6 a.m. EST until I restarted my phone (when 6 emails came through at once between the hours specified).  I'm unsure if the email issue is related, but it does seem coincidental.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

dan071978 wrote:

I am having the same issue and have had the following steps taken without success:

1.  *228 update

2.  Settings reset of phone

3.  Full reset of phone and reactivation

4.  Replacement new iPhone4 sent

5.  Repeated #1, #2 and #3 on the replacement phone (a number of times over)

6.  Verified all settings (e.g. MMS on, data roaming on, wifi off)

7.  Test sent a message to myself (1 succeeded but all others have failed since)

At this point, a ticket has been submitted to the engineering group, but my frustration is quickly growing (especially after 2 weeks of countless hours on the phone w/Verizon support).  Has anyone been able to solve your MMS'ing issues?  If so, do you know what actions were taken to correct it?

A little more background as well.  Text messages are functioning normally.  The internet can be "spotty", despite having 4 out of 5 bars and a 3G connection.  For whatever reason, I didn't get any of my emails between 11 p.m. EST and 6 a.m. EST until I restarted my phone (when 6 emails came through at once between the hours specified).  I'm unsure if the email issue is related, but it does seem coincidental.

dan071978, did your ticket resolve this concern?

0 Likes
bwohlgemuth

I am having this problem with my wife's white iPhone4.  So far we have replaced the phone and I've done everything I can think of .  Asking for Tier II and not getting too far right now.  Grrrr...

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

@bwohlgemuth,

I understand your concern and know the importance of being able to share pictures with your friends. You mentioned  that you were with Tier II support. Were they able to resolve you issue with the picture messaging on your wife's iPhone? If not, have you tried the suggestion MikeS_VZW provided. In many cases we've found that the settings on the phone are not correct.

If you have tried our previous suggestion and are still unable to send picture message from your wife's phone, please let us know and we'll be more then happy to further troubleshoot. We may need to file a trouble ticket with our engineers.

We're here for you if you need further assistance.

0 Likes
martee

I'm 80% sure I know what the issue is.  You said you got it replaced, try replacing it with a black one.  Sounds silly but I'm having the same issue on At&t, white 4s, no mms.  Replaced it.  No mms.  I also have a black one, it works perfect.  We tried a black demo phone worked.  Swapped sims....my working sim stopped in the white, the non working sim FROM the white started working in the black.  Swapped back......same issue.

Apple doesn't have anything to say about this.  But is sounds like a hardware issue to me

0 Likes
eschapman

I am having the same exact issue with my white Iphone 4S. Texing works fine, but MMS almost always fails. Once in a while it will work, but 80-90% of the time it doesn't. I would love to hear if anyone has resolved this. I've followed all of the recommendations in the post so far without success.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not sure if this shows up for you but when a message fails if you click on the red failed icon do you get the option to retry or send as sms/mms? If so, click on send as sms/mms and see if that works. I had an issue over the holiday trying to forward an mms message to two other iPhone users...in my instance though the issue was that the mms would not send through as an iMessage to either user but when I clicked the icon as suggested the messages went through fine. This may not work for you all but it's worth a try.

0 Likes
sdb56011

I have the exact same issue on my brand new, just-out-of-the-box iPhone 4s! So far the people on the VZW tech support line have only been able to tell me what the oh so helpful employees above have said, as well as the ones on all the other threads related to this issue. Why they keep dishing out the same **bleep** responses when they ARE CLEARLY NOT WORKING I'm not sure.... I guess they really can't admit that there is a flaw in the phone/network which they can't fix but continue to sell regardless. Then again, I've come to expect very low standards from this company anyway.

I have actually been retrying to send this MMS every time I open messages for four days now (I'm a college student so.... well, that's a lot) but it has not yet worked. I've tried sending MMS messages to a few other people as well, and it hasn't worked then either, So I've determined the problem isn't a temporary hiccup in the network, nor is it a flaw with the message's target's network, plan, or phone. However, I am not paying the absurd amount I am paying for MMS when MMS doesnt actually work. So if someone in the VZW world could figure this out sooner rather than later, that'd be great. If not, then do not expect to receive very many more checks from me. I will not pay for a service I am not getting.

(and yes it is white, I find it hard to believe thats the problem, but maybe...)

0 Likes