iPhone 5 - Can I use a Local SIM Card in China?
BrieanneB

So I've been doing a lot of reading on this and have been find way too much contradictory info. So I will try to ask the most specific questions I can, and hopefully get some accurate answers!

I have a Verizon iPhone 5, still under contract, and only about 5 months old. Next year I plan on moving to China for anywhere from 3 months to a year or longer.

I have been reading that the iPhone 5 has both a GSM sim card and a CDMA... something? Sim? That is something I want to understand a little better, because I've read different answers to the question. I know that GSM is what I need to roam internationally, but where does CDMA come in? More specifically, if, right now, I flew to China and put a prepaid Chinese GMS sim card in my iphone, what would happen? What is the difference between the GMS card and the CDMA card?

Now, more specifically, what needs to happen in order for me to (1) cancel my Verizon service and (2) take my phone to China and use it with a Chinese network for talk, text, and data?

Don't get me wrong, I love Verizon's coverage in the US, but in China not so much. ^_^

I hope I have asked the right questions to figure all of this out. Thanks for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 5 - Can I use a Local SIM Card in China?
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

1. Yes, you can go right now and use a GSM SIM card in your Verizon iPhone 5.  Note that you will have a different phone number when you do this.

You are not using a SIM card for CDMA in the US.  The SIM card in the device is used for LTE in the US.

CDMA and GSM are different types of cellular technology.

2. If you are still under contract, then you would need to be the ETF (Early Termination Fee) for your account.  Then you would simply need to get whatever SIM card you desire for service in China.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/customer-agreement

What Happens if My Postpay Service Is Canceled Before the End of My Contract Term?

If you're signing up for Postpay Service, you're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation.  (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee.  If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.  Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.  Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether they charge a separate termination fee.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

1. Yes, you can go right now and use a GSM SIM card in your Verizon iPhone 5.  Note that you will have a different phone number when you do this.

You are not using a SIM card for CDMA in the US.  The SIM card in the device is used for LTE in the US.

CDMA and GSM are different types of cellular technology.

2. If you are still under contract, then you would need to be the ETF (Early Termination Fee) for your account.  Then you would simply need to get whatever SIM card you desire for service in China.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/customer-agreement

What Happens if My Postpay Service Is Canceled Before the End of My Contract Term?

If you're signing up for Postpay Service, you're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation.  (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee.  If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.  Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.  Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether they charge a separate termination fee.

0 Likes
BrieanneB

So does that mean that the SIM card in my iphone must be replaced by another LTE SIM card? Not a GSM one? Because in China when I've bought SIM cards in the past, they were always GSM SIM cards. Do I have to seek a different provider that offers LTE SIM cards?

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

No.  It has GSM bands.  Look up model number A1429.

CDMA model A1429:

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900, 2100 MHz);

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz);

LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

0 Likes