iPhone 5s unexplained data usage -- still unanswered!
iheartverizonnot

I see two customers who have asked WHY their iPhone 5s is using up so much data, and neither one had their own questions answered.

Well, count me as #3.

We have 3 users in our household/plan with this phone, all 3 have high data charges that they can't explain. We've looked at the online details, tracked specific dates, times and GB used... And in some cases the phone connection had been TURNED OFF and they had set it to wi-fi only.

So do you have an explanation and a solution? If not, is it because you have no idea, or because you have been instructed to do whatever it takes to maximize our data charges and rip us off as much as possible?

We are new Verizon customers, switching from T-Mobile (solely because of network coverage issues), and it ranks as one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. So far I've encountered deceptive marketing, non-responsive customer service, and almost double what I was paying for T-Mobile. Positives? So far I can't name one.

Feel free to pleasantly surprise me with a specific, useful answer.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 5s unexplained data usage -- still unanswered!
Not applicable

Well lets see.

Snap chat and Spotify are not really that important. So place them on WiFi only withing the device settings. Turn the dongle from Green to Grey.

The apple iTunes and app store can also be set to WiFi only.

Please note that you must set the iPhone to update only when plugged in and on WiFi

Under settings-itunes & app store make sure its not turned on (Green) for Use Cellular data.

Setting-cellular

Make sure nothing is ON (Green) for App Store, Facebook, Face-time,GMAIL, Google+,Hangouts, Mail, Messenger, passbook, Skype, Twitter.

Also turn off CELLULAR DATA under Settings-Cellular.

This way only WiFi will be used.

I have two iPhone 5s devices and I use 25 Megabytes on each via doing these things. ( I also have unlimited data but I don't like to use what I don't need)

Try these things see if it helps.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want to be on your regret list, iheartverizonnot. If data usage was a simply answer for everyone, I'd happily give it. But each individual's phone and usage is different and we need to ask some questions before we can really give you a better answer. Keep in mind too that Apple products, by design, will turn off WiFi when dormant, so unless the Cellular Data is truly turned off, there may be usage that occurs when the phone goes dormant (like application updates, file downloads, etc). When you go into your phone's Settings then Cellular Data and scroll down, what are the top 3 applications listed for the data usage?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
iheartverizonnot

The top 3 aren't the same for each of our 3 iPhones, but since the data is shared on our plan, I'll just give you the top 5 overall, with GB (for August to date):

• App Store, 2.4 GB
  • iTunes, 2.3 GB
  • Skype, 1.1 GB
  • Snapchat, 1.1 GB
  • Spotify, 0.4 GB

Note: The family member with the high iTunes charges HAS NEVER ONCE USED ITUNES since getting her iPhone! All I can guess is that (1) the iPhone is automatically switching from wi-fi to the cellular network on its own (since when she went on Skype, she had set the phone to wi-fi only), and (2) there are automatic updates, syncing, etc. going on that none of these three users is even aware of.

What, if anything, can we do on our iPhones to override these automatic actions, if that is indeed the problem?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

iheartverizonnot,

Thank you so much for the details. I want to make sure that we get to the bottom of this ASAP. With the iTunes usage, does this user download any kind of ringtones from there at all? One thing that I would suggest on trying to do is resetting the network in the phone. The best way to get this done is to go into Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network settings. Once that is finished you would need to go back in and reset up the wi-fi password in the phone. Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
iheartverizonnot

OK, will try that and let you know.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well lets see.

Snap chat and Spotify are not really that important. So place them on WiFi only withing the device settings. Turn the dongle from Green to Grey.

The apple iTunes and app store can also be set to WiFi only.

Please note that you must set the iPhone to update only when plugged in and on WiFi

Under settings-itunes & app store make sure its not turned on (Green) for Use Cellular data.

Setting-cellular

Make sure nothing is ON (Green) for App Store, Facebook, Face-time,GMAIL, Google+,Hangouts, Mail, Messenger, passbook, Skype, Twitter.

Also turn off CELLULAR DATA under Settings-Cellular.

This way only WiFi will be used.

I have two iPhone 5s devices and I use 25 Megabytes on each via doing these things. ( I also have unlimited data but I don't like to use what I don't need)

Try these things see if it helps.

Good Luck

0 Likes