iphone 4s having sound issues and will not connect to computer
polkadot11

Several months ago, my iphone 4s started having sound issues. It would play sounds when under the sound menu in settings, alarms, and it would ring when a call came through, but it would not play music, video sounds, text sounds, or sounds in any apps. I read some troubleshooting online and tried cleaning the dock connector and headphone jack with compressed air and backing-up and resetting the machine. None of these helped. Eventually, I gave up and a few days later it suddenly started working like normal.

A couple days ago, I noticed it didn't make the noise it usually does when I connected my phone to charge. Now, it is not playing sounds again. And, tonight as I was trying to sync and free up some space, it suddenly disconnected. The usb cord was still plugged in to both the phone and the computer, but the computer was telling me that there was no device connected. I've tried restarting the computer and the phone, unplugging and plugging back in the usb cable, but it will not recognize a device.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 4s having sound issues and will not connect to computer
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@polkadot11

The iPhone 4S is wonderful device. I'm extremely surprised to hear that you're having a concern with it. Let's take a look into resolving the issues present with your device.

The first question I want to bring forth, is the volume key on the left hand side appropriately fixed. The volume key should shifted upwards towards the face (screen) of the device.

Have you been able to connect since the device stopped syncing? Is the device able to charge using a wall charger? I have provided an Apple Support link for thorough troubleshooting with the device. http://bit.ly/bRsNGx

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Re: iphone 4s having sound issues and will not connect to computer
amays86
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was having the same exact problem with my iPhone 4S. I thought it may have been water damage (I accidentally left my phone near a cold glass the other day and condensation puddled on my coffee table right near my phone). My phone wouldn't connect to my computer, my car's ipod adapter, and the volume control buttons were acting very weird. I also couldn't play songs on my phone through the built in speakers (the songs would either not play or play for like 3 seconds and then shut off)

I followed all the steps in the iTunes support, and it actually fixed my iPhone as of right now. I did do a full erase of the phone before I followed the steps though...not sure if that helped or not.

0 Likes
iphone 4s having sound issues and will not connect to computer
polkadot11

Yes, the volume key is in the right position. The sound issue has been intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it starts to play, but stops in the middle. I have been able to sync since my original post. And, it will connect to a wall charger. I have noticed - and I know nothing about technology, so I don't even know if this is relevant - that it seems to have something to do with when I silence my phone at work. If I silence or un-silence it while it is plugged into the charger, the sounds seems to function more often than if I do so when it is not plugged in.

Also, I have done a restore of my phone using iTunes. At first this seemed to have helped, but shortly after the sounds stopped working again.

Thanks for your help so far.

0 Likes