sim card question
YEEHANWU

Hi , does any one knows if Iphone5 can use local sim card when travel international countries.  then when return US , switch back to Verizon sim card?

just simply switch sim card ?

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: sim card question
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Locked would mean that you wouldn't be able to use another sim card in your phone...only the VZW one (and have to pay their international roaming fees). Unlocked would mean that you can use other sim cards while traveling internationally so you can take advantage of cheaper rates. I'm not sure the best way to test your phone right now to see if it is already unlocked right now...except for testing out a foreign sim card if you have one already. If not, you might need to contact VZW to make sure that it is indeed unlocked...or to have them unlock it for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If the sim is unlocked (apparently, the VZW iPhone 5 was shipped already unlocked, but you can always call to make sure it is unlocked once you receive it), then yes. If it needs to be unlocked and you are eligible (account in good standing, customer for a certain amount of time) then you can contact VZW and they will unlock your sim. In which case you can do what you described with no problems.

0 Likes
YEEHANWU

Thanks Kaebfly, for this answer.  I never get this " locked or unlocked " means,  I try to open my iphone 5 sim card slot , it works and pops out when I push pin hole with a pin , and i see verzon sim card in very smaller size ,  that means unlocked already?  should I just simply change for other country local sim card to this slot during trip , then should be fine ?  if works , does VZW will charge whatever roaming or international date or ....service fee ?

Please let me know....  Thanks

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Locked would mean that you wouldn't be able to use another sim card in your phone...only the VZW one (and have to pay their international roaming fees). Unlocked would mean that you can use other sim cards while traveling internationally so you can take advantage of cheaper rates. I'm not sure the best way to test your phone right now to see if it is already unlocked right now...except for testing out a foreign sim card if you have one already. If not, you might need to contact VZW to make sure that it is indeed unlocked...or to have them unlock it for you.

0 Likes
YEEHANWU

I c, thanks for information , So , which number should I call  , i would like to check with VZW.... Thanks

0 Likes
YEEHANWU

by the way , DO i have to pay any fee for unlock this iphone 5 if need to unlock?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You would call the customer service number (Sorry I don't have it in front of me, but you can find it on the website). And no, you would not pay a fee to unlock the sim. As long as you are an active VZW customer and qualify then they should do it.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Customer Service

Dial *611 from your cell phone

(800) 922-0204

Monday-Sunday 6am-11pm

0 Likes