ADA Compliance with basic phones
RandyinWV

It looks like Verizon is out of compliance with the ADA as far as basic phones are concerned.  By requiring a data plan to use a phone with a larger screen (4" and up) they are limiting people with impaired vision to obtain a usable phone.  I am bringing this issue up with my congressmen and the ADA office as well as the ACLU to see if we can get better phones for people with visual impairment.  Verizon must comply if they provide contracts to any federal government entities.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ADA Compliance with basic phones
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

And what about the other carriers? All of their 4" or larger screen phones require data plans. Maybe a person could use talkback or other features to assist them with using a phone of any type.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

RandyinWV

With the ADA, there is no "what about".  I hope someone who needs a larger screen due to a disability but cannot get one tries to make a case someday. 

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

and vzw will say they have alternatives

you wont win

they have teams of lawyers

i dont think the ada says they have to provide large screen cell phones with no data

do they have other alternatives?

maybe smaller screeens that have bigger text? i bet yes

look into a jitterbug, text is huge

why not go after the manufacturers and force them to create the phone you want?

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

And what about a few years back when the size of the screen was about 1”. How the people with impaired vision were doing then.

ACLU….yep…they will help…themselves. They love to attack a prosperous business for their own profit. Will they really care about the people with impaired vision? Really?

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

Good point. The carrier does not make a device. The manufacturer does.

0 Likes