Re: Alarm on Samsung Brightside not working
NivekE

Just bought this phone for my wife, the alarm and calendar alarm worked fine for about two weeks, all of a sudden both stopped working, and nothing we have tried seems to help. Very frustrating. I did install a memory card for her, don't know why that would make a difference but that seems to be about the time it stopped.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

<Duplicate post deleted per the .  Duplicate and crossposting is not permitted in this community.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
JimSlimbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have similar problems with the alarm and calendar functions.  I've tried countless experiments and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.  When I first got the phone the alarm worked in the morning but after approximately one or two weeks it stopped.  There are so many variables... I really don't have the time to debug a cell phone.  I'm shocked that critical features like alarm and calendar do not work.  I almost love this phone but these problems with basic features are extremely frustrating.

0 Likes
ab_verizon

I bought this phone 2 months ago. My alarm and calender were working fine but after I put in a 16Gb sd card both stopped working. I also started getting message every night that my phone memory is full even after I cleaned it up and there is free memory in the phone.

0 Likes
JimSlimbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

I called the authorized Verizon distributor where I bought this phone and asked for their advice on how to deal with the alarm and calendar issues.  They recommended resetting the phone.  I did this and the calendar and alarm functions began working again.  However, 2-3 weeks after the reset I'm having major reliability issues with the alarm and calendar again.  I've tried resetting everything on the phone I can think of to see if there's an easier way than a complete phone reset to try and get it back to a working state.  Things I've tried:

- Erase all messages

- Reset all timers

- Remove microSD card

- Reset main menu display to default

The most recent thing I tried was erasing all calendar events.  None of this has resulted in the alarm and calendar functionality returning to normal.  There seems to be some cumulative issue where after enough time passes (or perhaps it depends on how/how much these features are used), the alarm and calendar features stop working reliably.

Has anyone else with these problems come up with any workarounds?  I will contact the authorized Verizon store again to see what they recommend as a next step.  It would be unfortunate if I have to reset the phone every 2-3 weeks to keep these basic features running.  My next upgrade is still about 16 months away.... so that's a lot of resets!

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

I have been informed by the regional manager for the PREMIUM Verizon Wireless store at which I purchased my Samsung Brightside that Samsung engineers are now (FINALLY) aware of the numerous issues with the calendar and the alarm functions. No specific date for a software update (if at all) has been given. Still stuck with this phone Smiley Sad

And worse is that I had to re-purchase all my ringtones from Verizon on the 2nd Samsung Brightside which was given to me by the owner of the PREMIUM Verizon Wireless store at which i purchased my FIRST Samsung Brightside only to have the 2nd Samsung Brightside epic fail because as we all now know - it is not just a "batch" of phones that contain the epic fail of the Calendar and Alarm features - it's ALL of the Brightsides and I can't get a credit on my account for all these ringtones I had to buy because the phone is and has been defective since I bought it! That's really crappy customer service Smiley Sad

0 Likes
JimSlimbo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Indeed it is pretty amazing that a product can make it out the door with such basic features not working.

So I've been relentlessly experimenting with my phone to try and find a workaround quicker than a reset for getting the calendar and alarm working and I've got something that is working for me.  Several days ago I discovered that simply erasing all the alarms resulted in my calendar events working again.  And if I set the alarm it works the next morning.  I haven't let the phone continue running this way to see how long it lasts... I just erase my alarm after it goes off every morning and set the alarm at night before going to bed.  Since adopting this strategy I haven't missed a single calendar event or alarm.

Obviously Samsung has some work to do but I'm very pleased that I can have confidence my reminders and alarms will work.  I will keep experimenting and maybe I'll eventually figure out precisely what is broken in this firmware but hopefully Samsung will release a firmware update before that happens!

0 Likes
mckinl24

i've only had my phone for less than a week, soooo i'll give it time...I was thinking about getting another micro SD card because mine is only 2GB and I've got wayyy more videos and so I'm thinking about seeing if I can get the video on...so far the hardest thing was figuring out how to get the music onto my phone and how to convert my itunes to mp3. Someone's review helped a BUNCH with that!!!

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

try setting a half dozen calendar events on different days using the "once" feature in the Calendar, i.e. meaning the event is just a one time deal. then set an alarm to go off daily.

trust me - neither will work.

and when you set a Calendar Event, then save it, go OUT of the calendar feature, go into the Alarm feature, set an Alarm then go back into another calendar event, look at it then close it out and go back to the FIRST calendar event you put into your phone, you will see that the dates of the original event have changed all by itself.

I've been fighting Verizon and Samsung for four months now and STILL no one has even ADDRESSED the Calendar and Alarm defects. they know about it thanks to me but neither will tell the general public that the Brightside is and has been defective since it was introduced.

good luck!

0 Likes
tcdesigns

I've had the Brightside for several months but just now started having problems with erratic alarm reliability.  MOST of the time, my alarms no longer work at all.  I've erased all the alarms and started over, but this is a crap shoot, as sometimes it works, sometimes not...

My calendar reminders have never worked right, so if a fix comes in, please let me know.  Good luck to all having these problems.

0 Likes