Are there any good basic/feature phones that have been discontinued?
tataylo2

My brother currently has the Samsung Intensity II and it's giving him a lot of problems. After troubleshooting with tech support it is best for him to replace the phone. The insurance deductible is $45 but the phone will likely be refurbished. I am seeking a non-smartphone for him that I can purchase via eBay or Craigslist. Because he is 16, he wants some type of smartphone. Preferably the iPhone or a low/mid-grade Android phone. I won't allow him to get a smartphone until he gets a job and pays for the phone and monthly data plan.

I am sort of disappointed in the selection of basic phones on the Verizon website - there are only 7 phones under $100. It seems backwards that there are 23 smartphones under $100. The conspiracy theorist in me would think this is a ploy to coax customers to move towards smartphones but I digress. I have been looking at the Samsung Brightside and the ZTE Adamant (discontinued - not offered on vzw.com) and they seem pretty cool and reasonably priced on eBay. Are there any other basic or feature phones that you would recommend [including discontinued and upcoming phones]?

I would rather not purchase a phone directly through Verizon so that it does not extend the contract or interfere with his upgrade date (to ensure that he will be able to afford the phone of his choice when he is ready).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are there any good basic/feature phones that have been discontinued?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he wants a touch-screen phone, he'll turn his nose up at this one (LOL), but I loved my env3.  A number of complaints about it if you read reviews/this forum, but I got it as soon as it was released and never had any issues with it.  It was a 'multimedia' phone, so has data access (it was one of those that required a data plan).  If you/he don't want a data plan for it, you can block the data.

AZSALUKI
Legend

+1 for the env3. i also LOVED my envy touch (if he does want a touch screen). LG used to make the best basic phones. the more recent samsungs just don't cut it. my son (13 years old) has an LG Octane and it's been great as well and my wife just got rid of her samsung allias II that she loved for more than 2 years. you can find all of these on ebay at reasonable prices. the added benefit is that you don't have to renew your contract if you just buy one and activate it.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I forgot to add that there have been a few similar threads on this subject the past few months, if you want to do a search for them.  A few folks have even given detailed reviews.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

I love my ENV3.  I bought 2 used ones and replaced husbands ENV2 with one and keeping the other for spare.  Friends kid dropped her octane in water so I loaned her the spare and she was hooked and got one from ebay.     Mary

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another vote for the Env3 - son and daughter both had them (18 and 21) and they were more than adequate phones and worked well for them.  My son (now nearing 24) is still using his though he is eligible for an upgrade now - he likes it and sees no reason to change until it quits on him.

The Alias (original) was a good phone for my daughter before her Env3, and I really enjoyed my LG Voyager, touchscreen.  None of the phones require a data plan, if you can find them.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, liked the Alias (original) as well.  Had that phone before the env3.  While the Alias' double-flip was cool, I preferred the larger keyboard on the env3.  I've seen quite a few env3s, some new, on ebay.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

Just be carefull on ebay as some say new but they actually used.  I was lucky and a friend had 2 practially new sitting in a drawer and let me have them for $10 each.  She just didn't have the chargers and I didn't need the chargers.  Mary

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

I too like the env3 and Octane, but I've also had dozens of refurbed phones(CPO) from Verizon and have never any more issues with a CPO than I've had with new phones.

0 Likes
archeryhunter19931
Contributor - Level 1

I have had the env3. It was a really good phone. I have upgraded to the Samsung brightside and it was a worthy upgrade. I have had the brightside since April and haven't had any problems with it. It's a really good messaging phone with a great keyboard and touch screen! I would definitely recommend it.

0 Likes