Are we qualified for an upgrade?
Hologram80s

A family member accidentally lost their basic LG Env2 cellphone that she had for 10 years.  The month that she accidentally lost her 10 year old basic cell phone was in April of this year.  We can't afford a smartphone to pay monthly with the family plan due to the expenses that smartphones have, so she needs a basic phone for now, that being said, I was wondering, is she qualified to get a free phone as an upgrade to another basic cellphone?  My cellphone is also 10 years old, but i dont need to upgrade since I'm old fashion.  I know in the past, Verizon allowed free upgrades to qualified customers who had their cellphones past the expired 2 year contract, I don't know if that rule is still on going or not?  If not, what is my family member's option for her situation?  

Someone please help!  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Possible Qualified Free upgrade to a Basic Cellphone?
Snn5
Legend

No, that phone is $89.99.

LG Cosmos 3 | Verizon Wireless

It might cost $0.99 up front, but after you tack on the access charges monthly, it will come out to $89.99 plus tax and a $45 upgrade fee with contract.  If possible, just buy it outright in full.  You'll save $40 in the end.

However, if you go the device payment route to save on access charges, that phone is $3.74 a month for 24 months.  But, if you choose this route, do so before Nov 15th.  There is a $20 activation charge for new device payments beginning on that date.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Current customers can still get 2 year contracts.  The "free" phone never was free since the cost was written into the access fee.  You might opt for a $49 basic phone paid in full or at $2.08 a month for 2 years and then pay $20 a month for access on no contract, instead of the access fee that is higher than $20 on the older plans.

0 Likes
Hologram80s

Yes I am aware of the 2 year contract.   With a 2 year contract, she can get this phone for $0.99, right?   She is more of a txter than a vocal person, so for now she needs a basic cell that is created for txters.   Ideally, she prefers to get a unlocked used verizon txting cellphone from amazon with out a contract because by 2016 she will land a FT job which she will be able to afford a smartphone to pay monthly for.  But I prefer her to get a new cellphone without problems a used cellphone has. 

Thank you for your response Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

No, that phone is $89.99.

LG Cosmos 3 | Verizon Wireless

It might cost $0.99 up front, but after you tack on the access charges monthly, it will come out to $89.99 plus tax and a $45 upgrade fee with contract.  If possible, just buy it outright in full.  You'll save $40 in the end.

However, if you go the device payment route to save on access charges, that phone is $3.74 a month for 24 months.  But, if you choose this route, do so before Nov 15th.  There is a $20 activation charge for new device payments beginning on that date.

0 Likes