Basic Phones but I still have to pay for data?
chasejr

I want to change my plan over from the 700 min plan to the Family share plan with unlimited talk and text...the only problem is that we have 4 basic phones.  I can pay the $30 per phone per month no problem...but then I'm forced to select the base 300mb of data plan (for $40/month) as well.  What is this paying for?  I'd be throwing away $40 a month for data that I can't use since we have basic phones.  There should be another option.  Has anyone else encountered this, and had it resolved?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Basic Phones but I still have to pay for data?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say you're on the 700 min plan, is it the Nationwide Family Share Plan, or the Share Everything Plan? 

If it's the Nationwide plan, you could consider bumping up your minutes to 1400 for an additional $20 per month.  And with that plan, you'd get 10 Friends and Family numbers; once you input them via your on-line MyVerizon account and wait 24 h for them to activate, then anytime you called any of those 10 numbers, the minutes wouldn't count against your 1400-min allowance.  You also could add unlimited text to the entire plan for $30 per month.

If you currently have the 700-min Share Everything plan, then you've interpreted the plan correctly.  To get unlimited minutes and texts, you'll be paying $30 each phone for line access + $40 each phone for minutes/texts/300 mb shareable data. 

Edited to add:  If you are currently on the 700-min Share Everything plan, you can add a 1,000 messages per line text package for an additional $10/month per line.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi chasejr!

Whenever you need more minutes, we've got you covered. And we surely don't want you to have to break the bank either. Regarding changing your plan, the most cost-effective route in this case would be to switch to the Share Everything plan which will allot your family unlimited talk and unlimited text. As you noticed, having the 300MB worth of data is something that would be included. Without any added features and before taxes and surcharges, you'd be looking at about $170 a month. And that's much less than what it would cost to be on the original unlimited plan with your devices. You can research further at http://bit.ly/xdDajD . I hope this helps!

EvanO_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us On Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

chasejr wrote:

I want to change my plan over from the 700 min plan to the Family share plan with unlimited talk and text...the only problem is that we have 4 basic phones.  I can pay the $30 per phone per month no problem...but then I'm forced to select the base 300mb of data plan (for $40/month) as well.  What is this paying for?  I'd be throwing away $40 a month for data that I can't use since we have basic phones.  There should be another option.  Has anyone else encountered this, and had it resolved?

Actually basic phones CAN use data. Also you're not paying $40 for the data. You paying $40 for unlimited minutes and texting AND data. And since the unlimited minutes and texting have a $40 value the 300 MB is basically FREE.

If you need more minutes then you can get the 1400 minute plan for $20 more than what you're paying for now as was said. or 2000 minutes for $40 more.

So let's break this down

1400 minutes,  4 lines, unlimited texting = $140

2000 minutes, 4 lines unlimited texting =$160

Share Everything 4 lines, unlimited minutes and texting 300 MB data=$160.

If you're going to need more than 1400 minutes Share Everything is better.

0 Likes