I have a Pantech Crux and 2 questions/problems.
1) A few weeks ago I received a message that the pre-loaded browser would no longer be supported and to download Opera. I did that. Unfortunately, Opera is a pain to use. The screen will not rotate, and you are stuck using its keyboard instead of the phone's. Typing on it is an absolute pain because I'm a grown man with fingers that are larger than toothpicks. Is there a setting (or secret incantation) I haven't found to fix this?
2) I just installed the mobile email client update. It said to uninstall the old client. I would if the old client had a function for doing so. Do I need to "Cancel Subscription" to get it to do so? The update installed, let me add my first email account. It asked if I wanted it to check for messages. Said no. Went to add a second account. That failed (apparently Gmail thought the IP address the phone had was suspicious and blocked the login attempt). Now I can't find how to try adding it again, or to toggle whether I want the client to check for mail or not. The old client had these functions easily accessible. I only use the phone for email on rare occasions (partly because it can't cope with HTML messages...another gripe that even on a feature phone this should be supported.) How the heck do I uninstall the old client and get to the settings to add another mail account and toggle checking for mail on or off?
I want you to enjoy the convenience of e-mail and your browser on your device JeffRinDC! I'm sorry we have limited control in terms of what browser is supported on your device. We are not reporting known issues with the browser used on the Crux.
I have included information below on how to add/remove e-mail clients from the device via Mobile Email. http://tiny.cc/luv10w
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport
Thank you, Jonathan, but you only partially addressed my issues.
1. How do I make the screen rotate in Opera Mini? Being locked in portrait mode is absolutely unacceptable, especially when it comes to using the horrible keyboard it provides. My fingers are far too large to use the portrait mode keyboard...the old browser rotated into landscape and provided a more usable keyboard.
2. How do I restore the "automatic launch" setting for the browser that was broken by uninstalling the original browser? It is no longer possible to open links from Bing search results.
3. How do I uninstall the original email client so I can do a clean install of the new one (as the instructions say I should do)?
I can address your remaining concerns, JeffRinDC. The Opera Mini setup is not something that can be changed. To address your last two questions, I would suggest completing a master reset.This is a time consuming step, but it's proved to be very effective...http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/34599/ Let me know if this helps.
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport