Data plan NOT required--older phones; LG Dare, enV2, others?
yeeha

So I want to add a line for my daughter, but need to at least start her off with an older phone and see how she does with it before committing to a contract. That means that I'm shopping for a used device, preferably one which would be a modest upgrade for one of her parents if it doesn't work out, but it's nearly impossible to determine which non-current phones can be activated without a data plan. If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think Verizon was being deliberately secretive about this, but since their customer sevice has always been so good I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, I would REALLY appreciate a list of which phones from the past couple of years can be activated, as of 9/15/2011, without any sort of data plan. Barring that, how about a definitive statement for some of the nicer used phones such as:

LG Dare

LG enV2

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data plan NOT required--older phones; LG Dare, enV2, others?
dr3wv4n3

Current Phones offered by Verizon that do not need a data plan (some free when you add a line):

LG Revere

Samsung Convoy 2

LG Octane

Casion GZOne Ravine & Brigade

Samsung Haven & Gusto

LG Cosmos & Accolade

LG Env3

Verizon Escapade

Read the reviews on www.phonearena.com.  They have all the current and past phones reviewed.

Also may want to consider an older phone similar to a smartphone that does not require a data plan like LG Env Touch or Samsung Rogue/Reality.  With those though, you're going to use data and need at least some kind of data plan.

Ebay is the best place to get older phones.  If you're talking about not having any kind of contract, you're better off getting a pay as you go phone from Walmart.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

dr3wv4n3 wrote:

Also may want to consider an older phone similar to a smartphone that does not require a data plan like LG Env Touch or Samsung Rogue/Reality.  With those though, you're going to use data and need at least some kind of data plan.

I have the enV Touch and don't use or need data.

If you do a search in this community, this question has been covered a few times with extensive lists of the phones you're looking for.

0 Likes
yeeha

Thanks for the info, folks.

I did find some old posts about the Dare and enV2, but neither were current, and I know Verizon often changes the rules on which phones qualify. For example, I found one thread where someone who owned a Dare without a data plan was told he would need to add a data plan when his original phone got damaged and he tried to activate a replacement Dare!

I assume there is a list of data-plan-exempt older phones somewhere at Verizon--how else would their reps know what to do with one--but I sure can't find it anywhere on the web site.

0 Likes