Durable, long lasting texting phone?
F_Moffa

I'm looking to buy a new phone that will last a while. My past two phones have broken all too quickly, and the last decent phone I had was a flip phone. I don't particularly need a smartphone, nor do I want to spend the money on one. However, I may have to go that route if I can't find a full keyboard basic phone that will last at least until the 2-year mark. Does anyone have any recommendations for a really good quality full keyboard phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Durable, long lasting texting phone?
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

They don't sell it anymore but I have had my ENV3 for over 2yrs and not one bit of trouble so I am going to buy a new one from ebay to have as back up for this one as I only need talk and text and I don't care for the octane or any of the other basic phones.  Mary

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I"m like Mary and had good luck with my Env3 ... am hanging on to it for a backup or if someone else on my plan needs it (I upgraded to a smartphone last year).  Others on this forum have indicated good luck with the LG Octane, which is very similar to the Env3 and came out after that phone.  Unfortunately, it also isn't sold on Verizon's site anymore.  As Mary mentioned, you can usually find older (but new) phones on ebay.

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

I have had Samsung Sway for four years and I love it. After 4 years it’s normal that the phone start malfunctioning. 3 weeks ago I ‘downgraded’ to Samsung Intensity III. I hate this phone. The numbers are so small that is very difficult to touch one without touching another.

I never had LG ENV3. I just checked eBay. They have new phones (without contract). The numbers are big – easy to dial – and the phone look good.

I noticed that the name ENV3 is coming back on this forum each time someone mention a good basic phone. Is the ENV3 phone really good?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Env3 has its haters just like any other phone has; there are a number of posts on this forum with gripes about it.  I got mine a week before official launch () and loved it.  Never had any problems with it.  For folks who want a full keyboard in a basic phone, I think it's a good choice, based on my experience (ymmv).  It's basically the same thing as an Env Touch, only with a keypad front instead of a touch screen.  The Octane is very similar to the Env3. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i had an env Touch that last longer than 2 years. my mom had an env 3 that lasted 3 years. my son currently has the octane (as well as my mother and father in laws) and is over 2 years old. my son is 12 and texts about 2500 times per month. i'd say the octane can handle 2 years of use with no problem, based on his usage. find new ones cheap on ebay....plus, no contract required if you buy one outright from ebay. then, if something decent does come along, you can use your upgrade then.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I try to take care of my things and am usually gentle with my electronic 'toys', but I do have to admit that I dropped my env3 more than once (and once on my concrete driveway) and it never did any damage ... well, ok ... one corner got chipped after the driveway fall, but a cover covered that up.

If you aren't needing a full keyboard, we've had good luck with a Convoy and a Convoy2.

While I think we're in a fairly 'disposable society' and things have a planned lifespan of a fairly short time (or at least it seems that way ... of course, technology also changes), my family has had a number of phones that we've used 4+ years.

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you Tikibar1, AZSALUKI and Mary for your opinions.

I need a full keyboard and no touch screen.  It looks like Env3 is a winner.

I just don’t understand phone makers. Why do they cease production of a good quality phone, only to replace by piece of crap.

Look at LG Cosmos 2. The camera has only 1.3 Megapixel. This is like moving backward instead of going forward.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

My firend got the octane but I just don't care for it as well as the ENV3, the 3 seems so much more solid plus her ringer on high is not as louds as my 3 and that's a big drawback for me since we don't have a home phone so if I leave my phone in the living room and I am in the kitchen I need to hear the ringer.  Mary

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for your inquiry, F_Moffa!
Have you had an opportunity to check out basic phones on our website?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneOverviewByDevice...
Take a look at the reviews and that may help you make a decision.
Both the LG Cosmos 2 and the Intensity 3 have full QWERTY keyboards.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes