External Backlight Malfunction (Kyocera DuraXV Extreme E4810)
vzw-phone-user

The back light for the external screen on the phone has stopped working, so it is practically impossible to read any information on the screen.  The phone is only 4 months old, and rarely used.  From the beginning, the external screen backlight would only light up intermittently (e.g., alternating 1 second on, 1 second off, etc., while displaying an incoming text message or Caller ID number); while annoying, I assumed that this was intentional (perhaps to save battery life).  Now I'm thinking the screen may have been defective from the start.  As of today, the backlight doesn't come on at all.  There is only a very faint illumination from the sides, so that one can almost make out that there is something on the screen, but it is not bright enough to read.  Can this be fixed?  Can I get a replacement, since the phone was defective from Day 1?

0 Likes
Re: External Backlight Malfunction (Kyocera DuraXV Extreme E4810)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out and it saddens us to hear that you'r experiencing problems with your device. The Kyocera DuraXV (Extreme E4810) is a very dependable and sturdy device. I'd be disappointed too if I were experiencing problems with my device. We appreciate that you've reached out to our community forum. However, we can provide you with the assistance needed. Noting the issues you're experiencing with your phone, have you contact ed our Customer Service Team (From an alternate phone) at 800-9222-0204 for troubleshooting assistance? I know we can assist you, while working together.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As our valued customer, your account concerns are our concerns and we’re here to assist you in any way we can. Verizon takes protecting our customer’s personal and account information very seriously. Since we will need account-specific details from you, we’ve sent you  a Private Message on this topic:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox

RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw-phone-user

No, I have not tried to contact Customer Service but the telephone number you provided (800-9222-0204) is not a valid telephone number in the US.

I don't think this is a problem that can be solved by trouble shooting over the phone.  It seems to be a hardware problem, like a malfunctioning LED or a solder failure.  The behavior of the backlight is erratic -- today, I was able to briefly (for ~1 second at a time) get the light to turn a few times by tapping on the external screen, but this was not reproducible later.

You can help me by answering the following:

(1) What is the normal behavior of the external screen?  When displaying information (e.g., caller ID information or the contents of an incoming text message), is the backlight supposed to be turned on continously, or is it supposed to turn on and off (alternating between on and off every second or so)?

(2) What are Verizon's (and/or Kyocera's) policies for replacing or repairing what is essentially a brand new phone?  Is there a warranty period?

0 Likes
vzw-phone-user

@robertc_vzw :

According to the information in your private messages, you want me to "authenticate" for the purpose of giving you permission to review my services so that you can offer additional or alternative services.  I am not interested in changing any of my services at this time, so I don't see why you would need to review my account for purposes of upselling additional services, when all I am looking for at this time is to get a replacement or repair of the defective phone that was shipped to me in November.

Your private message also states that "refusing to authenticate will not impact your current services," which is good.  I hope that refusing to authenticate will not prevent me from receiving assistance with my issue in this forum.

At this time, I cannot authenticate for the following reasons:

• It doesn't seem relevant to my problem, as explained above.
  • I have no way of verifying whether you are actually a Verizon Customer Support representative or just a forum user who is impersonating a VZW representative.
  • Your private messages did not include any authentication link. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would like to start by giving you the correct number to call. It is 800.922.0204, you had an extra 2. As far as the warranty, the manufacturer offers a 14-day warranty for a defective device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The only way we can review to see if we can offer a warranty, we need access to the account.

0 Likes
Kyocera_Support
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kyocera offers a 2-year manufacturer's warranty.  Please feel free to contact our Technical Support team at 1-800-349-4478 to discuss your concerns.

0 Likes