Feature Phones
cdeshea

Not everyone in the Verizon network can afford to have Smartphones or aren't interested in this.  Seems like the focus lately is on smartphones and upgrading $15 or $30 and if you have a grandfathered VCast Video plan, you have to pay an extra $15.  So to get a smartphone and have unlimited data, you must pay $30 plus pay your $15 for Vcast Video to keep it (which already includes unlimited everything).  So with a smartphone it's going to be $45 a month for customers that have been with your plan for years.  I have been a valued customer for 16 years and quite frankly am disappointed with Verizon.  Why can't you get better feature phones.  All you're feature phones are crap!!!  Not everyone wants a flip phone, not everyone wants a touch screen.  Hey, what happened to flash with the camera on a phone?  With the economy the way it is, feature phones that actually work and last would be nice.  Can anyone tell me if there will be any new feature phones that will be coming out in 2011 that are worth having????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Feature Phones
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon recently (November and December) added several new feature phones to it's lineup. There are 26 phones listed on the website right now as "feature phones", not requiring a data plan. The Kin One(m) and Two(m) are wifi capable, without a data plan, and from the reviews, people like these phones.

What features, specifically, are you looking for in a feature phone? Realize that no one single phone will likely meet ALL your needs, and you will need to decide what you absolutely have to have and what you can compromise on.

And if Verizon doesn't have one that fits, there are other carriers out there that may have just what you are looking for.
0 Likes
OsheaG
Contributor - Level 2

What I recommend is that you sign up for email updates to get info on new products that are being launched.  Please click the following link and complete the information:  

http://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/formlink/f?NFOQU&SOURCEID=WEB_DGF_VZW_SUPPORTNAV

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

cdeshea, I agree with a lot of what you said here. A data plan is not a priority expense for all customers, and those customers should be able to get quality phones too. With that said, the feature phone lineup is much better than it used to be. I feel like there's something for almost everyone now. If you don't want a touch screen or a flip, that leaves you with four options:

LG Octane

LG Cosmos

Pantech Jest

Samsung Intensity II

Although I agree with SuzyQ and I would check out the Kin too. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
GoodbyeVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll tell you why ALL the feature phones are crap.

Because, BigRed is trying to increase subscriber revenue by coercing all its customers to Smart phones and the higher rate plans.

You want a good camera.....good screen res. ........  or good texting... then its get the smart phone and its increa$ed data plan and SPEND more money!

Their basic phones look like they have been produced  10 years ago!

They currently don't have anything that even comes close to my Env Touch; 800 x 480 screen res, 16 million colors, 3.2 mega pixel camera and its good, and full keyboard.

VZ doesn't want the lowe end customers and is trying to shake them...... nuff said.

Too bad, because I am one of them. I would love to get ANY smart phone BUT I don't want to increase my bill by 75%.

....and BEFORE you dolts out there complain about getting a smartphone and NOT using the features, you would be wrong.

I would like a good camera, good video res., good texting ability and wifi, but Bid Red doesn't want this to happen.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

GoodbyeVZ wrote:

I would like a good camera, good video res., good texting ability and wifi, but Bid Red doesn't want this to happen.

The Kin Onem or Twom may fit the bill - 5 or 8 MP camera, wifi, qwerty keyboard . . . and NO DATA PLAN REQUIRED.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

GoodbyeVZ wrote:

The Kin Onem or Twom may fit the bill - 5 or 8 MP camera, wifi, qwerty keyboard . . . and NO DATA PLAN REQUIRED.

I'm sure he'll have something derogatory to say about that. He's been saying goodbye for 6 months, hopefully his contract expires soon.

0 Likes
GoodbyeVZ
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lewis, thanks for telling me what I think. Whether you like it or not I AM part of this community and was also responding to what many others have brought to light. If you disagree  ... so be it.

Thanks for the suggestions Suzy, I think the reviews for the Kin models speak for themselves.

I think that you know where I am coming from, especially if you look at the lineup of current "feature phones".

Once again, for  those that  do not listen, I believe that VZ seems to be systematically  getting rid of so called low end rate plan users by offering a dearth of good phones for those who do not want data plans.

I have NO problem purchasing a Droid-ike device but I do not care to be locked into a data plan. If you can't understand that some of us who want to use the phone for wifi, as a secondary camera and video player without having to pay for additional service then I guess you never will.

I and many others would just appreciate the opportunity to choose ourselves. How can that be wrong?

0 Likes
CK6

im still rocking my 4 yr old lg dare. why cant they make a simple touch green that require no data package. The phones they have now on the site are crap. I refuse to go near a microsoft phone.

0 Likes
CK6

It's all about the $$$ for big read. Feature phones does not bring in the profits so they ignore customers who just want a simple phone. I noticed to get a good phone you have to get a data plan which is $30 more...smh

0 Likes