How could Samsung and Verizon allow this?
castpics

Samsung Intensity lll

This letter is from a very unhappy, very sad, good and loyal customer of both Samsung and Verizon for years now.

I am a simple phone user. All I do with my phone is talk, text, and take pictures. August was time to renew my contract and get a new phone. I decided to upgrade to a qwerty keyboard and a better camera.

Made an appointment with my regular salesperson at my local Verizon store for advice. She sold me my last phone, a Samsung Smooth, in 2010. She talked me out of the phone I had picked, insisting that the Intensity lll was the right phone for me. She knew I would be happy with the Intensity lll, as her father was. She knows that  all I do with my phone is talk, text and take pictures.  I believed her. Two days later my boyfriend and I left for South Dakota with my Samsung Intensity lll phone.

I read the small leaflet that came with my phone, memorized where the SAVE key was and took many, many photos, most from the back of a motorcycle. Arrived home a week later to look at all my wonderful pictures. O.  I shot all my photos in landscape mode  and every time I clicked on (SAVE), my picture was erased!

Please read the Samsung leaflet. It explains the two functions; Regular and Landscape.  Please read page 23 of the 217 page online manual.  The first sentence states:  Softkey functions are defined by what appears above them in the bottom line of the display. It also states that there are two sets of softkeys, on the front of the phone when the phone is closed or on the side and qwerty keyboard for use when the phone is open (Landscape mode). Look at the schematic on page 23. It shows  the softkeys. SAVE is over the right soft key in Landscape mode. That is what I clicked every time I took a picture. And every time I clicked SAVE my picture was erased!

Software instructions do not match the topography of the phone. Does  anybody test drive  these things before delivering them to the trusting public? Does customer trust and customer satisfaction matter? Competition exists, you know.

How does one replace the photos from a once in a lifetime trip? We lost so much. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, old friends, new friends.

How could Samsung release a flawed product like this?

How could Verizon promote a flawed product like this?

What will Samsung do to make this up to us?

What will Verizon do to make this up to us?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How could Samsung and Verizon allow this?
Not applicable

I have no idea what Verizon or Samsung can or will do to make this unfortunate circumstance up to you.

But I will say, when I got my new Maxx HD about 3 weeks ago, the first thing I did in my living room was take a few meaningless pictures,  see where the phone put them, how to save them, how to delete them, and how to move them.  I did the same with some test videos.  I also play around with other features my phone has, test call my wife, text, email, etc.  Anything I can think of so I know how my new phone/camera/computer works.

I seriously feel bad about your situation, because I too, have lost pictures that I wanted to save,  This was years ago and on my computer and not my phone, but you get my point.

Best of luck to you,

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do the same thing, dirbon.  And when on trips, whether using my phone or my "real" camera, as I take photos, I check periodically and ensure they are there (and then download every day or so to my computer).

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep the time to learn how your camera works is NOT right when you're about to take pictures.

0 Likes
castpics

You are absolutely right and, under ordinary circumstances, I would have  done the same thing. There was simply no time. And my friend/salesperson assured me that it would be an easy switch because I had a Samsung before. Why didn't she know about this glitch? She had given the Intensity III to her father. Maybe he doesn't take photos.

Yes, if I had done my homework, I would have known about the problem. There wasn't time. But really, isn't it the responsibility of Samsung to build a good product? And Verizon to market a good product? This phone should be recalled and fixed.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm sorry that you didn't get the photos that you thought you were getting, but maybe getting a new phone right before a trip where there was "simply no time" to do your homework wasn't the best thing to do.  In my opinion, there is no glitch or problem with the phone or manual, so no reason for it to be "recalled and fixed".  Page 108 of the manual clearly says:

The Camera always opens in landscape mode. While taking pictures, you can use the external command keys, or the QWERTY command keys.

4. Press the Camera Key or the Center Select Key TAKE to take the picture.

5. After taking a photo, use the soft keys for these options:

Press the Right Soft Key Erase to delete the new photo.

Press the Center Select Key SEND to resize the new photo and attach it to a new multimedia message.

Press the Left Soft Key Save to save the picture to My Pictures.

0 Likes
mrpearsoy
Contributor - Level 3

castpics wrote:

You are absolutely right and, under ordinary circumstances, I would have  done the same thing. There was simply no time. And my friend/salesperson assured me that it would be an easy switch because I had a Samsung before. Why didn't she know about this glitch? She had given the Intensity III to her father. Maybe he doesn't take photos.

Yes, if I had done my homework, I would have known about the problem. There wasn't time. But really, isn't it the responsibility of Samsung to build a good product? And Verizon to market a good product? This phone should be recalled and fixed.

I sympathize with you over the loss of your photos. verizon nor Samsung will reimburse you for that - what kind of value can you place over lost memories? Thats why I take a real camera and also my cell phone. But as has been stated, there is more to blame here. In regards to your comments: There was simply no time. - You said you left for your trip 2 DAYS after getting the phone, and you read the book. You didnt have time to take a few sample picture to get the hang of your phone? Also, the responsibility of samsung and Verizon regarding a good product - who said its not a good product? It is a decent phone. But had you figured out how to use it prior to the trip, you would have realized it had a software glitch. The saleperson probably never took picture with it either. And its possible that its just your phone. In a batch of lets say 100 devices, several could have a screw up - the phone is made by and used by imperfect people. It is what it is. The only thing you can do is alert Verizon and Samsung of your issue, and your phone is under warranty so you can get it replaced. But thats the extent of it. Sorry.

0 Likes
castpics

Thanks for your input...but there is more to know. Page 108 is about the phone in regular mode. Page 23 is about taking pics in Landscape mode. In landscape mode the right soft key is SAVE and there is no left soft key.

0 Likes
castpics

Thanks for your time and thoughtful response. About it being just my phone...I just went to Samsung to complain. Went thru the whole process to email them and, strangely enough my phone (model #), is not on their list! Maybe the problem was discovered and the phone discontinued. Guess what I will do next? Exchange this one for one they admit they make......

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would say they still admit they make it:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-U485RKAVZW

0 Likes