How do I disable automatic backups in Backup Assistant on my LG Cosmos 3?
GBiscuit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I recently started using a newly-purchased LG Cosmos 3 from Verizon. It came pre-installed with Backup Assistant. In a way, Backup Assistant works as expected - with the exception that the automatic backup feature seems to need manual assistance to work. Namely, because I've set it to automatically backup at night, when I wake in the morning it's frozen at the Backup Assistant screen and I need to 1) unlock the phone and 2) press "OK" for Backup Assistant to complete. This is a nuisance I'd like to dispose of.

I'd like to either 1) disable the automatic backup and just perform manual backups of my contacts when needed or 2) uninstall Backup Assistant entirely. Neither of these seem to be a (visible) option though. I've seen similar posts to this problem, and the recommended fix has been to enter the (secret?) code: 73738# in Backup Assistant's "About" screen. I've tried this several times, paying close attention to getting the combination correct, and Backup Assistant continues to perform automatic backups anyway. I suspect that either my OS version or Backup Assistant version are later than the ones this particular trick worked for. My phone's various version numbers are:

[Backup Assistant]

[SW Version]

VN251Z5

[PRL Version]

PRL53523

[ERI Version]

ERI 5

[Browser Version]

[Media Center Version]

[AVR Version]

mVoice 2.40.1

[EMS Version]

VLG_E_010_03_c41

[MMS Version]

L12.50R

[Bluetooth Version]

2.1+EDR

[OTADM Version]

[MSUI Version]

[HW Version]

Revision 1.2

[Operating System]

Brew MP 1.0.2

So, in short: How do I either uninstall Backup Assistant - or disable it's automatic backup feature?

Thanks,

G

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I disable automatic backups in Backup Assistant on my LG Cosmos 3?
GBiscuit
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

I figured out how to reset Backup Assistant on my LG Cosmos 3, so I'll post the *correct* fix here for posterity. First, know that the fix involving pressing 73738# while in Backup Assistant's About screen did NOT work for me. I suspect this is because my version of Backup Assistant is 1.6.2.0.54, a more recent version than the other posts dealing with resetting Backup Assistant dealt with. What DID work however was,

1) Opening Backup Assistant

2) Going to the About screen

3) Holding down the Camera button on the Cosmos 3

4) Selecting "Reset Backup Assistant" from the 'debug' screen that appears

There's a lot of options that appear when Backup Assistant's 'debug' menu is revealed. For those looking to tweak Backup Assistant, this is probably as close to the nuts and bolts as you can get.

- G

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GBiscuit,

Let's get this fixed for you! The first thing we should try is resetting this application. Click here for info on how to remove it http://vz.to/1zp4DrE. Once removed, relaunch it and it will prompt you to re-subscribe to its services. This will not remove any contacts from your phone, only reset the app. Keep us posted!

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GBiscuit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sandy,

I've viewed the link you posted, but that method does not seem to apply to my particular phone. Please consider the version numbers of my phone which I posted above. When I view the Options for Backup Assistant - cancelling my subscription or uninstalling is not an option. The only available Backup Assistant options are:

* Set Schedule

* View Mobile #

* Change PIN

* Help

* About

I suspect this is because Backup Assistant was pre-installed on my phone when I received it.

As a preemptive strike to what I'm guessing you will suggest next, I do not believe performing a "Restore Phone" (a.k.a. Factory Reset) on my phone will allow me to uninstall Backup Assistant either. I believe I saw a post where another LG Cosmos 3 user had tried this, and Backup Assistant was there even after the Restore Phone.

Regardless, I like your enthusiasm. I agree, let's fix this!

Thanks,

Gary

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GBiscuit,

Let's keep working on this. We would need to reset Backup Assistant. You can follow the steps here http://vz.to/1ttkouo.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
GBiscuit
Enthusiast - Level 2

All,

I figured out how to reset Backup Assistant on my LG Cosmos 3, so I'll post the *correct* fix here for posterity. First, know that the fix involving pressing 73738# while in Backup Assistant's About screen did NOT work for me. I suspect this is because my version of Backup Assistant is 1.6.2.0.54, a more recent version than the other posts dealing with resetting Backup Assistant dealt with. What DID work however was,

1) Opening Backup Assistant

2) Going to the About screen

3) Holding down the Camera button on the Cosmos 3

4) Selecting "Reset Backup Assistant" from the 'debug' screen that appears

There's a lot of options that appear when Backup Assistant's 'debug' menu is revealed. For those looking to tweak Backup Assistant, this is probably as close to the nuts and bolts as you can get.

- G