How do I reactivate an old Samsung SCH-U450 phone to replace my current smartphone?
Melancholic

I have been a Verizon customer since the first cell phones. As such, I have a collection of old phones and I want to reactivate one of them. I expect to lose some capabilities, but I do not care. This would replace my current (paid for) smartphone.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I reactivate an old Samsung SCH-U450 phone to replace my current smartphone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That looks like an old CDMA only flip phone. Unfortunately, you can't activate it anymore. After July 2018, all phone activations are required to be VoLTE capable. Existing devices already activated are allowed to continue to be used for now until Verizon Wireless starts the transition process to get those users switched over to new 4G LTE devices either basic phones or smartphones.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: How do I reactivate an old Samsung SCH-U450 phone to replace my current smartphone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We value your long-time loyalty here with us, Melancholic. Our goal is for you to have a working device. Ann154, is correct. We are no longer supporting CDMA-only and 4G non-HD Voice devices. Systematically, we are not able to activate this device. Our LTE network offers superior coverage, performance and lower costs compared to previous generation networks. Are you experiencing any issues with your current device? Any specific reason you want to switch devices?

Gerson_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Any non LTE basic phone is now junk. Might as well throw them out. They can't be activated anymore and even if they could the will stop making calls on Jan 1 2020.

0 Likes