I have a Samsung Convoy 3. I got it recently. I replaced an old Motorola flip phone that I loved. It was about 7 years old. I thought without much research and little reservation that the new Samsung phone would be a big improvement. It is not. The
Don1954

I have a Samsung Convoy 3. I got it recently. I replaced an old Motorola flip phone (V265) that I loved. It was about 7 years old. I thought without much research and little reservation that the new Samsung phone would be a big improvement. It is not. The Motorola had great predictive text. The small screen allowed for large font that one could view when composing text. Samsung has neither (why)?

The camera on the Motorola allowed for zoom prior to taking a pic, the Samsung does not (Why?).

The Samsung is less a phone that the Moto V265 ever was. I miss that phone. I ask, did Verizon intentionally select a lesser flip phone, knowing full well that many of us want and need such a phone, with such poor features that we might reconsider and opt for a "smart" phone at over twice the monthly cost?

What do you think?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I have a Samsung Convoy 3. I got it recently. I replaced an old Motorola flip phone that I loved. It was about 7 years old. I thought without much research and little reservation that the new Samsung phone would be a big improvement. It is not. The
Snn5
Legend

I think less technology and improvements are going into phones which sell with a lesser profit margin.  I had a V262 and I can't imagine the features getting worse.

0 Likes
Re: I have a Samsung Convoy 3. I got it recently. I replaced an old Motorola flip phone that I loved. It was about 7 years old. I thought without much research and little reservation that the new Samsung phone would be a big improvement. It is not. The
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Have you looked around on the Convoy to see if you can increase text size? Typically "font" is something you can change.

Is the Convoy touch screen? Have you tried zooming in with your camera using your fingers?

You've been out of the mobile phone game awhile; 7 years with the same phone, so a lot has changed. Most folks do enjoy a smart phone, but Verizon still sells basic phones and basic lines for folks who don't wish to go that route.

0 Likes
Don1954

I used it off and on for seven years. I had two LG phones in between.

Convoy is not a touch screen. There are many complaints about font size when composing text as there is with the XT9  predictive text feature (it does not work, period).

The Convoy is an IP67 rated phone, that is, it is rugged. That makes it useful.

The V265 was a tri-mode universal phone. Verizon has nothing like that today. That is why I pull it out of retirement on occasion.

Verizon is in buisness to increase revenue and profits. If they offered the Convoy with all of the features (and they could like the original Moto Razr's) of a smart phone, why would many people opt for a montly bill of 2X?

0 Likes
Don1954

The features of the V265 slightly predated the Moto Razr flip phone. That was the original "smart" phone in many respects. The V265 was twice the phone of the Convoy 3.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The functionality of smartphones is what increases the cost of ownership.  Smartphones can access faster data speeds, use more data, the hardware is more advanced as far as sensors, cameras, multimedia and screens go, the software and OS allow many more apps to function like fullsize programs do and more can be done due to screensize.  Basic phones could snap a photo, could text and make calls, and even walkie-talkie, for which "there's an app for that."  All this makes a smartphone cost more to make and since Verizon is mainly in the data business now, smartphones use more data, ergo, Verizon pushes smartphones and devices harder.

0 Likes