Initial Programming Needed?
Thorzdad
Enthusiast - Level 2

My ancient LG flip-phone is on its last legs, so I am going to attempt to move my service to a newer flip phone (donated by a friend) It's a basic Samsung flip-phone of some sort, if that matters to this question.

I've looked over the online steps to transfer to the new phone, and it all looks pretty clear. And, I've backed-up my contacts from the old phone using Backup Assistant. So far, so good.

On the new phone though, I am getting this big, red message on the screen saying Initial Programming Needed. The phone won't do anything unless I first do...something.

My question...What do I need to do with this new phone in order to get it in a state to accept transfer of my service? Or, can I go ahead and perform the online transfer and this new phone will magically activate?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Initial Programming Needed?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off the old phone.  Then dial *228 on the new phone and follow the prompts.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

do transfer online then *228 or perhaps *228 first then transfer but that doesn't make sense to me.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off the old phone.  Then dial *228 on the new phone and follow the prompts.

0 Likes
narntek
Contributor - Level 3

As several members have suggested already before me, do the *228 programming, choose option one, enter your phone number, enter the account password you use to connect to phone support, and then you should be good to go. Make sure the    LG phone is turned off when the process with the Samsung is ensuing. If you still are having difficulty with the activation process, calling verizon at 800-922-0204, should resolve it, as they can solve almost anything.

0 Likes