Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is this true?
ithink

I have been doing a lot of reading and research as of late about cell phone technology, as I have a growing interest in this field. I read that Verizon takes an additional step to protect their customers privacy by erasing the phones with a machine which is made by the company Cellebrite. From what I was told, the Cellebrite machine erases the cell phone that is hooked up to it wholly and completely by overwritting the customer's personal information/data with zeros ("0"s).

Is that true?

Ellen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is this true?
acraftylady1
Novice

I have no clue but even when a computer is fully formatted I think the FBI can still get some sort of data off it.  Not easily probably but if need be they probably have ways even though it was formatted.  Mary

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

there is no 100% way to destroy data without destroying the disc space.  There are tools out there that can get data from a 35-100 rewrite without a hitch.  The government destroys their data by destroy the disk space completely as that's the only surefire.

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Novice

What I mean if someone let's say has illegal stuff on their computer or {edited to comply with terms of service} for that matter then they wipe it clean and then they get investigate and computer confiscated if they really want too I would think they could find some evidence even though you think you wiped computer clean couldn't they?  Mary

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

Yes there is only one 100% way of wiping something completely clean... Destroying it... Other than that it'll always be there and can be gotten.

0 Likes
ithink

Greetings to All!

I think you all are right......it is just so amazing how far technology has come! Think about it, we have gone from writing on stone tablets to writing on modern tablets! I can't wait to see what technological marvels are around the next corner!

Ellen

0 Likes