I have a Cosmos 3 (basic phone), and I just changed my mobile number via the Verizon site. I tried to text family to let them know about the change; only when that did not work did I realize that I was not quite finished. Per the last set of on-screen instructions I tried to dial *228 to reprogram/activate the phone, but when I do I get a recording: "Recording 206: your call cannot be completed as dialed..." etc. etc.
I cannot call anyone else, or text, or basically do anything with my phone, although it is still fully functional. Under "My Number" it still tells me my old number. I have tried turning the phone off and on again several times, removing the battery, dialing *661 (as the prompt recommends) and absolutely nothing works.
I have no land line and no other access to a phone; the easiest thing I can do is go to a Verizon store tomorrow morning. I'm *hoping* I don't have to resort to that...any ideas?
The old info is still going to show. try calling *22890, ensure you are in coverage (not roaming/signal bars). if anything, your phone may need to be manually programmed, and without a callback number, just head to a vzw store
Definitely have service. Just tried *22890 (it was one I had not found online), but alas, it did not work either; I get the same recording. At least there's a Verizon store very nearby; it looks like I will have to stop by there tomorrow morning. Thank you anyway!
When you change your number it takes a few hours for all systems to get the info. I normally will change mine at night, then shut the phone off for the night and the next day it is good to go
Good morning. Changing your mobile number should be simple. I am sorry to hear the difficulties you are experiencing. It would be my pleasure to provide you with steps on reactiving your phone.
Normally, dialing *228 send and selecting option1 will reactivate service. Unless you are in an extended area, *228 will not work. To make sure you are in a Verizon coverage area, can you please provide us with your zip code. Also, you may try manually programming your phone if *228 send is not working.
To manually program your phone follow the steps below:
1. • With the slide closed, press # # 7 7 6 4 7 2 6 2 5 1 Send
2. • Service Code ?????? displays, enter 000000 (Service Programming Code - Default)
3. • Select option 1 for Service Prg
4. • Phone number (MDN) XXXXXXXXXX displays, enter the 10 digit MDN then press OK.
5. • Phone number (MIN) XXXXXXXXXX displays, enter the 10 digit MIN then press OK.
6. • NAM 1 Name dispays, press OK
7. • NAM1 MCC  displays, press OK.
8. • CDMA HOME SID/NID displays, scroll to SID, press OK, enter SID without the zero's in front (i.e. 20=CHI, 530=SBD) then press OK.
9. • Ensure NID shows 65535
10. • Scroll up to Index, press OK
11. • Slot Cycle Index [X] displays, press OK.
12. • Programming complete - Phone will power cycle
Once the phone powers back on, dial *228 send and select option 1. If you still experience difficulites, please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance. Have a great day!
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT