Kyocera duraXV Extreme - software problems
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got 2 of them, in order to be compliant with 4G.  This phone by itself is certainly a good one, technically speaking. 

But then, there is NO way to download ANY apps and there is No way to backup contacts list, say, simple "Backup Assistant" style. Pre-installed Cloud does not work!

These two very important features were always available on basic phones in the past...

This phone is $240 (!) and, from software point of view, is horrible in comparison to all my previous basic phones from Verizon (all of which were a LOT less expensive or free).

So, is VW going to do something about it and when?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Kyocera duraXV Extreme - software problems
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally, VW provided software update, version 1.308vz. It looks like this update fixed issues with contacts backup to the Cloud, and the issue of phone switching to speaker mode when headset is plugged in and then removed when phone is on.

So far, it's good. I feel a lot better about the phone software now...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bewilder
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, they will do something about it. They will come on here and say something like.

I'm sorry you are having trouble, we want you to be a happy customer. How can I help make this a pleasurable experience?

If you are lucky, on the 2nd or 3rd try they might even understand your question but by the time they give a good answer you will have switched to T-mobile.

oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bewilder, you certainly got this situation correct...

I'll be checking T-mobile very soon for future use.

In the meantime,  I have a very simple question:

How can I backup contacts list on  Kyocera duraXV Extreme?

I'm not going to pay at least $72/year for Cloud, only need contacts list saved, nothing else...  

So, here is the challenge for VW - no "backup assistant" installed, and no way to install it - what is the simple solution for backing up contacts? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey, oristep! If you don't want to use a cloud service, you can always periodically export your contacts to an SD card and store it somewhere safe. Here is a link with step by step instructions for exporting your contacts: https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-221219/

ScottD_VZW

0 Likes
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,  ScottD_VZW

Unfortunately, your link is related to

KYOCERA DuraForce Pro 2

while I'm asking about 

KYOCERA DuraXV Extreme

which is a very different phone, if you happen to know the difference.

BTW, I already tried Import/Export on my phone, and it did not work.

Looks like a lot of things are not working correctly for this phone. I started to regret choosing it as 4G replacement for Samsung Convoy 4, which worked great and which I was forced to ditch because it is 3G.... 

Any other ideas? 

0 Likes
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

O.K., I figured it out despite not getting any help from VW. 

It is more complicated and time consuming than just using Backup Assistant (Plus), which VW did not intentionally load into the phone, just because they want our money for use of the Cloud. Basic phone users need this Cloud like a dog needs 5th leg.

0 Likes
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello, Customer Support

Thanks for private message.

I already learned about VCF files and was able to backup (and restore my
contacts as a test) on various phones. 

Took some time to educate myself, as I've never done it before and just used
Backup Assistant in the past, which was very easy. My suggestion is to put Backup Assistant back on the phones, at least the basic ones. Or, even better, make adjustments to Cloud app, so that people can back up just Contacts List for free. Nobody in the right mind will pay at least $6 per month for this very expensive Cloud just to backup contacts once in a while. Otherwise, you'll be dealing with lot of unhappy VW customers in the nearest future.
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another weird thing happened, as mentioned in some other posts - this phone loves to switch to speaker when receiving calls. I temporarily did fix it, but it should have never happened in the first place. 

Conclusion - Kyocera duraxV Extreme is a very good hardware having a horrible software and no enough attention and/or  support from either Kyocera or VW.  What a shame! 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your frustration and we do all we can to support every phone we sell, including replacing them in their first year for any software defects. We are saddened to hear of your experience, but will always be here to support you in the future if needed. - ErichC_VZW

0 Likes
oristep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally, VW provided software update, version 1.308vz. It looks like this update fixed issues with contacts backup to the Cloud, and the issue of phone switching to speaker mode when headset is plugged in and then removed when phone is on.

So far, it's good. I feel a lot better about the phone software now...

0 Likes