Re: LG Cosmos 2 - Remove Backup Assistant?
jazzy0213
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Denise

What happens when you go to a PC and Sync?

What happens when you go to menu  apps

and start backup assistant from there?

0 Likes
acraftylady1
Contributor - Level 1

On my ENV3 I use the free version of back up assistant and I am never charged data, don't have a data plan.  Have had it on here about 8 months now and it works fine.  Mary

0 Likes
jazzy0213
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hate this phone.

(how about a thumbs up if you agree)  ;-)Smiley Happy

I got it for my mom,

and she wanted to keep her old  brick phone.

I had an LG  vx8300,

better camera, video, audio messages...

the list goes on.  It was an awesome phone.

If it had not gone over the 14 days,

I would have sent it back.

The keys constantly stick, send blank messages,

or the wrong letter... or or or.....

I live in the Mountains.

Even if I wanted to, I have no use for a data plan.

I wish they made better basic phones.

Thank you for the heads up up on the Env.

Most of us Cosmos users probably wish we had one.

Jazzy

jazzy0213
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also, becareful.

If you read the VZW contract,

if you do a factory reset and have re download the App, and

or if you have to re upload your contacts, the Cosmos incurs Data charges.

I fought customer service and eventually got a credit on my bill.

Also, if you do some reading...

even if you but a data block on your line,

that does not necessarily stop Backup Assistant.

0 Likes
sobejamie

I, too, wish to get rid of it.  I simply have no idea how to use it and have no desire to learn how.

I don't know that it has caused any problems or not.  I have had Contact problems.

0 Likes
Oleguy

I also have the Cosmos 2 horrors, with Back Up assistant and the Spawn of Satan Scoop. After two weeks of phone calls and customer service telling me that "that should take care of it" more time than I wanted to hear, I "think" I have removed Back Up Assistant through a reset, then saying no to the app's (Back Up and Scoop) during the phone initialization. My problem now is the battery runs down within 24 hours without any usage except being on. I have two icons that randomly and persistantly come on ( The Phone - In State Call and the Opposing Arrows, Data Transmission) I am sure that is what is causing the battery to discharge within 24 hours, I called customer service several times and they have blocked Scoop, and now have put a block on the other apps on the phone (supposedly...) They also said my problem was the battery and replaced it. New Battery, fully charged and I still have the same problem with battery life and the mysterious icons from nowhere...

If you use a memory card in your phone, use the contacts Option, Manage Contacts, Copy to Card.....(every thing but Emergency Contacts/Info) You now have your contacts backed up....you can then go to the memeory card and tell it to transfer to phone and they will be restored....You control the when, and you don't have to worry about the App hanging up and draining your battery. 

0 Likes
lvc22

I'm with you. The only reason I would figure that Verizon would force this upon their customers, is as an information gathering tool. Every person who uses the BA has many names, numbers, and other information within their contacts/address books. I am finally through with Verizon once and for all. Once this contract runs out, I'm moving on. For too long have I fought with Verizon's PROPRIETARY protocols, and I am done with it. All the other companies seem to let one load their own ringtones, and have more freedom of choice when it comes to managing ones phone. Verizon feels they know what is best for all of their customers, so they force these things upon us, and why? It's all in the quest for the almighty dollar.

After spending about 2 hours trying to find out how to remove this Backup assistant from my phone, I have learned it would have been easier to just cancel my account with VZW, because I still haven't found an answer as to how to get rid of this annoying little app. And in my opinion, the 73738# is nothing more than Verizon slapping you in the face for not wanting to use their BA app, because I think all it does is activate another marketing tool to target those who wish not to use this piece of app. My last two phones from Verizon had MYSTERIOUSLY dumped out on me, one about 2 weeks before my contract was up, and the second was about 3 weeks before my contract was up. I found this very curious how my phones worked great up until then, and then one lost it's screen, and the other would boot up and shut down 2 or 3 times before it would stay on. I am through with VZW and their greed and unfair business practices. They really do smoke a pole. It's funny how the spell checker on this editor finds the word Verizon as a misspelled word, using their own editor on their website. Bye bye Verizon.

0 Likes
analog_guru
Enthusiast - Level 2

Super!  Seems to have worked.  Go into Backup Assistant on phone and it shows as needing activation.  Problem solved!

Now how to I get rid of all that weather texting?

0 Likes
jazzy0213
Enthusiast - Level 3

In the past when I have had a problem with an App.  Go into your apps and see if it can be removed from there.  If not, open, go into options and see if the same thing will work.  If not, call Verizon tell them you want it removed.  I had a shopper app or something that kept wanting to install.  I rate it up there on the high level of intrusion and spam.   On rare occasion I reinstall the Backup Assistant, then immediately do the reset again.

Congrats, I am glad it worked for you!

Jazzy

0 Likes
dustfairy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got my Cosmos 2 and I don't like it either  Smiley Sad  There aren't many basic phones to choose from anymore. I definately don't want or need a data plan but i think they(VZ) are trying to Phase out those of us that don't . The big money is to made from people that have their social life in their phone.  I don't like that I have to press the ok button twice to get to the menu,the camera edit options are crappy and I HATE all of the ads that run all of the time:(

0 Likes