LG Cosmos 2 weather
keenerhead

Hi, I got the LG Cosmos 2 for my mother and it has the web blocked and as of today I put a download block on it because out of the blue a weather app shows up everyday when you first go to unlock the phone. Where did it come from and does anybody know if this going to cost data charges? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Cosmos 2 weather
surf2
Enthusiast - Level 3

The weather is part of Daily Scoop which comes pre-loaded on the phone. I can help you get rid of it. It uses up a lot of battery power.

I had read on the Customer Reviews (under the LG Revere in the Verizon reviews) that turning off the Daily Scoop was not successful. Many users returned their phones because they were so frustrated by the Daily Scoop.  The Daily Scoop goes into an endless loop .... saying "You are almost done. Get Daily Scoop" but it never arrives. It just keeps scrolling.  When you go into the Daily Scoop>Menu>Options>BonusMsgs>Off, you can make the "Off" turn red but the radio button does not leave the ON position. So choosing Off does not actually shut it off.  Same with the "Bonus Msgs".

I called Verizon tech support. They emailed Daily Scoop to tell them to stop sending "scoops" to my phone. The tech said that she will receive a confirmation in 2 days. Once she receives the confirmation, she will put a "block" on my phone so that Daily Scoop can no longer contact me. But she is doing this for the first time (and after several trips to the supervisor for advice) and is not positive that it will work.

She said the problem is that the app is pre-installed. It doesn't seem to want to be turned off.

Update: The Verizon tech received the confirmation from Daily Scoop. The tech has now put a "block" on my account to stop Daily Scoop. In 48 hours the existing Daily Scoop messages on my phone are supposed to disappear.

2nd Update: Success.  I am no longer receiving Daily Scoop offers on my phone. No more "weather" updates. 2 of the 3 previous entries in my Daily Scoop (Media Center>Browse and Download>Daily Scoop) remained in the phone for 3 days (after the 48 hour waiting period was up).  They constantly scrolled "You are almost done. Get Daily Scoop".  On the 4th day, they disappeared.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
You can call #DATA from the handset to see if there are any data charges on that line. Is the weather app asking to be downloaded? Or is it already installed and running?
0 Likes
flyboy2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is part of an App called DailyScoop. It's preloaded onto the Cosmos 2. I have the same problem. It can't be turned off or deleted. Another blog here has more details on it. You're not alone with this problem. Yes, you're charged for data usage unless you have a plan that includes data usage.

surf2
Enthusiast - Level 3

The weather is part of Daily Scoop which comes pre-loaded on the phone. I can help you get rid of it. It uses up a lot of battery power.

I had read on the Customer Reviews (under the LG Revere in the Verizon reviews) that turning off the Daily Scoop was not successful. Many users returned their phones because they were so frustrated by the Daily Scoop.  The Daily Scoop goes into an endless loop .... saying "You are almost done. Get Daily Scoop" but it never arrives. It just keeps scrolling.  When you go into the Daily Scoop>Menu>Options>BonusMsgs>Off, you can make the "Off" turn red but the radio button does not leave the ON position. So choosing Off does not actually shut it off.  Same with the "Bonus Msgs".

I called Verizon tech support. They emailed Daily Scoop to tell them to stop sending "scoops" to my phone. The tech said that she will receive a confirmation in 2 days. Once she receives the confirmation, she will put a "block" on my phone so that Daily Scoop can no longer contact me. But she is doing this for the first time (and after several trips to the supervisor for advice) and is not positive that it will work.

She said the problem is that the app is pre-installed. It doesn't seem to want to be turned off.

Update: The Verizon tech received the confirmation from Daily Scoop. The tech has now put a "block" on my account to stop Daily Scoop. In 48 hours the existing Daily Scoop messages on my phone are supposed to disappear.

2nd Update: Success.  I am no longer receiving Daily Scoop offers on my phone. No more "weather" updates. 2 of the 3 previous entries in my Daily Scoop (Media Center>Browse and Download>Daily Scoop) remained in the phone for 3 days (after the 48 hour waiting period was up).  They constantly scrolled "You are almost done. Get Daily Scoop".  On the 4th day, they disappeared.

0 Likes
grumpy_customer

Everything I want to say has been said.  I chime in only in the hopes that if enough people complain to Verizon for forcing unsolicited ads down my throat that they will stop.  Is it not enough that I pay $50/month?  Verizon needs to make an extra couple cents off my account by selling my privacy to some third party ad pimp? 

This is my first phone to be this obnoxious.  If I can't turn it off or if the next phone I get from Verizon sells me gas and weather ads I am terminating my service.

I would rather have no cell phone at all than this.

0 Likes