LG Cosmos Touch VN270 turns on all the time and kills battery life - how to stop this??
sdoebel

I lock the phone using the lock button on the side but then I'll notice that the display will come on spontaneously (an hour later or ten minutes later...it varies). I notice there is some symbol flashing (arrows and tiny cell phone icon at top of display)  and when I unlock it I will see a screen for browsing and downloading. This is super annoying because I have to keep recharging the phone even though I barely use it. And I can't find a setting to shut whatever it is off that keeps making it do that.

It's true that the display dims a minute later but if this is happening all day then it wastes the battery. I can tell because I'm recharging the thing every other day, which I'd really rather not have to do. 

Solutions??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG Cosmos Touch VN270 turns on all the time and kills battery life - how to stop this??
Not applicable

Everyone, I understand how frustrating this issue can be. This has been addressed to our product and we are still investigating the cause of this problem. Once a fix is implemented it will be in the form of a software release. Once we have more information and a fix, we will communicate that information. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: LG Cosmos Touch VN270 turns on all the time and kills battery life - how to stop this??
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi sdoebel! I'm here to advise on what to do about your device backlight coming on. It is very possible that this is being caused by a service called Daily Scoop. I recommend disabling the service as the first step in troubleshooting.

To turn off Daily scoop message settings, you must Launch Daily Scoop by going to Media Center>Browse & Download>Daily Scoop> Select ‘Menu->Options->Verizon Msgs’>Choose ‘Off’ and ‘Save’.

0 Likes
supermom

I have the same problem with my Cosmos touch.  I called tech support & we reset the phone to the factory defects. Disabled Daily Scoop & my phone still will come on by itself.  I am sick & tired of going to bed at night with the battery full & the next morning my phone is dead.  Sometimes when I check the phone the screen it is on is Browse & download.  I have never had these problems with my versus or other phones.  The reception is not as good either. Is there any solutions to these problems.

0 Likes
donlonmd

I have the same issue.  In the  middle of the night, even when the phone is locked it will turn on and light up the room and drain the battery.  This is very frustrating.     When I unlock the phone the BROWSE and DOWNLOAD screen is active.  One of my friends has this phone  and the SAME thing happens to her.  I have disabled the daily scoop but this seems separate.  I have done the software update but no updates are available.

-Mark

0 Likes
jrob

I have the same issue, the phone comes on and goes to the browse and download page. It does this every 20 minutes or so. AT first it would come on and talk tring to sell a service to me. But by getting rid of certian services I got rid of the talking.

Still having the lighting up on the download page every 20 minutes or so and killing my battery I tried verizon again. They said they had to email the daily scoop ap people to suspend the service and it would take a couple days. This was the only way to do it because the ap could not be removed from the phone.  Several days later with the same problem I called again.  This time the nice lady from verizon basically "YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO TURN YOUR PHONE OFF AT NIGHT". 

So if you purchased this LG phone from verizon you are stuck in a 2 year commitment with a piece of junk. Verizon obviously knows there is a problem and wont admit it.

This is the costomer service you get after being with a company since there inception.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Everyone, I understand how frustrating this issue can be. This has been addressed to our product and we are still investigating the cause of this problem. Once a fix is implemented it will be in the form of a software release. Once we have more information and a fix, we will communicate that information. 

0 Likes
copsmom

How much longer is this going to take?  I have been complaining about this issue since April.  At first Verizon denied there was a problem, thus losing time in trying to find a fix.  The earlier software update didn't address the problem.  All it did was eliminate the "New Media Center Message" message.  The browse and download page was still there.  It shouldn't take your experts 6 months to fix this.  

0 Likes
pepperfarm

Just to add another voice ... I've had the same issue.

Due to my terms of employment I keep the phone on overnight. Between midnight and 6:00am the backlight comes on and stays on, even though the timer is set to 30 seconds. Once, and only once, I left the volume turned up, instead of vibrate-only, and received detailed instructions on how to set up the email feature. That was not a friendly way to wake up. If I see the back light on, or the Download screen, I can shut it off with the screen lock button. Sometimes it comes back on later. This definitely kills the battery by morning.

I have worked with various Customer Support people who knew nothing about this issue. They have walked me through the remove battery, reset and reactivate phone, etc. to no success. VZW was kind enough to replace the phone with the same model. The second phone has the same issue.

The local Verizon store would only tell me to please contact the Customer Service number. The corporate account rep at work has been a black hole, so far.

0 Likes
ts0104

Hi, just thought I'd chime in that I am experiencing this too.  More recently in the past few weeks if that makes any sense.  I did have Daily Scoop, from months ago, wish I never would have.  Phone still lights up and goes to browse and download (is doing it right now!)

Please fix soon or can we get a different phone if we can live without it for a few days to mail it in?

Thanks.

0 Likes
golowes48

Same situation here with my wife's phone, and now my touch screen is no longer responsive.  What a piece of junk this phone turned out to be.  Now they will probably give me a refurbised phone and I will have the same problem my wife has...good times.

0 Likes