Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,353 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
LG Exalt Not Compatible with Backup Assistant?
skrien
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have just received my second Exalt. The first one was unable to connect to Backup Assistant so I could not get my Contacts transferred from there. The replacement works exactly the same way. I like the phone if only I could get my 400+ Contacts loaded into it. When I tell it to connect to BA it makes two attempts and then gives me a message that it was Unable To Authorize. In searching for help I found this in a discussion thread about the Exalt on Amazon:

"It won't do backup assistant because it only runs "Data Transmission: 1 x RTT" You need to have a phone with "EVDO" data to do backup assistant."

I have confirmed with LG that the Exalt only runs Data Transmission 1xRTT. Is it true that this makes it incompatible with Backup Assistant? Why would Verizon market a phone with BA pre-installed if the two can't talk to each other? Any work around for this?

Labels (1)
Re: LG Exalt Not Compatible with Backup Assistant?
gfrazer

Just went thru the same experience. Now, I at least know why it won't work. Was told there may be a software fix some time in the future. Best workaround for this is to connect your old and new phones via Bluetooth, and just send your contacts from the old phone to the new. Don't remember all the steps off the top of my head, but after you pair the two devices, open your contact list on the old phone, then you need to find how to mark all contacts, then send.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

skrien,

Whoa, that's a lot of contacts. And we want to get them transferred over in a jiffy. Truth is, the Exalt is a Backup Assistant capable phone but it sounds like you just need the new version. To install, please go to menu > Media Center > Apps > Shop Apps > Tools and Applications > Productivity/Utilities > Backup Assistant > Install. Please keep us updated as we need Backup Assistant version 2.0.0.0.19.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gfrazer

EvanO

Exalt cannot complete this. ShopApps screen does not have a choice for Tools & Applications. Only presents six applications. Backup Assistant appears to be installed on the phone when shipped, but it may not be a good version of the app. Doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall, so you can't get a fresh install. Version on the phone never asks for a PIN, therefore it authorize the request.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Gfrazer,

Contacts are important! Let's get this resolved. Go to Media Center>Apps>Shop Apps>Tools and Applications>Productivity and Utilities>Backup Assistant-Free Upgrade and complete the install. Power cycle the phone and then try to use BUA again. Keep me posted.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

rmkinslc

Pamela/Evan,

Same problem and I tried your fix. It now works fine. Thanks.

PS. FYI, I went twice to the store and spent an hour or more on two occasions to get this resolved after I bought it a few weeks ago. The last fellow I spoke with in customer support said he would get back to me when a fix was available but never heard from him. Glad I stumbled across this. The LG Exalt is great for my needs but this issue was a pain and I had just about given up.

0 Likes
cathhart

Have tried this and update install fails.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hmm. That's odd! I appreciate the insight it's very helpful. Have you ever had a data block added to your account? This can often times impede access to Backup Assistant.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
eve1810
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon,

I have had the same issue and am now also on my second phone.  What is the deal? Very disappointed due to this issue.  After having spent 2 hours on the phone to be sent a replacement, and then still have the same issue I am wondering why Verizon doesn't allow customers with this problem to go into the store to have contacts manually transferred without a charge.

This is not the customer's fault!

0 Likes
skrien
Enthusiast - Level 2

I made one final attempt to transfer my contacts by taking my old phone and the Exalt to the local Verizon franchise store and asking them to do it hardwire. They were unable to comply because my old phone is so old they don't have software that will read it. They also tried accessing BA on the Exalt and had exactly the same problems I did. Ditto with trying to transfer the contacts via an SD microchip, which just causes the Exalt to shut down and reboot without copying the contacts.

Having heard nothing from Verizon and my 14-day free trial ticking away, the second phone went back and I have returned to using my old phone. A few days after I returned the second Exalt I got an email saying there is a new version of BA and asking me to try it but it was too late. Based on Gfrazer's comments it probably was not going to work anyway, and I would have been stuck with a phone that was about as useful as a paperweight. I anticipate a fight in the near future over whether I will have to pay a re-stocking fee for returning two phones. These phones should not be re-stocked, they should not even be sold - they DON'T WORK.

Looking at the lousy reviews of the other Basic Phones available from Verizon and the fact that the only Basic Phone with good reviews doesn't work properly, it's pretty clear that they are abandoning the Basic Phone market. For those of us not interested in paying for bells and whistles, who don't care about having the latest greatest model, and who just want to be able make a simple phone call, well Verizon just can't be bothered to try and satisfy us.

0 Likes