LG Terra - "Searching for Service" in NYC subway stations
BlueRiband

I have an LG Terra with LTE, purchased in June 2016.  For the past two months I've been unable to get phone service in the NYCTA subway stations.  I have no problem on the street.  This is at ALL the stations including main transfer stations like 59th St/Columbus Circle, Broadway/Lafayette and West 4th St.  Last week I picked up service at 59th St/Columbus Circle only but then yesterday, nothing.  Is there some change in the service or do I need to change my phone settings?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LG Terra - "Searching for Service" in NYC subway stations
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand the importance of having a working service while traveling on your daily commute. I use my phone all the time so I can understand how much of a hassle it is. With regard to the service issues we can not guarantee service underground or while on the subway due to the signal coming into your device from our towers. We do want to review the device and service concerns to see what can be done for you. To clarify, what exactly do you have issues with? What happens when you make a call, text, or use data service? 

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BlueRiband

All NYC subway stations have cell phone service form four major carriers including Verizon.  They don't rely on street towers but have transmitters located on the ceiling above the platforms.  When I try to use my phone the screen reads "Searching for Service".  I cannot make or receive calls nor can I get internet in any station, including major transfer stations. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details, BlueRiband. Your feedback is essential, and we are always working to expand and improve the network where possible. There are factors outside of our control that can contribute to poor underground performance even in cases when you have had service in the past in the same location. Some common changes are cell sites, construction, weather, population, and signal interference. I understand that this is not the most ideal of situations, but I hope this at least provides more insight and the clarity that you were looking for.

AkaneM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
gsholette

There is definitely something untoward going on with the Verizon NYC subway service precisely since April of 2018. For a year or more my phone worked fine for both calls and texting in 99% of the stations. Which are now wired for cell service underground btw (its underground, its inside the train stations, its not coming from a tower. The Verizon agent who replied to your concerns might even be AI and never having visiting our great city is ignorant of its realities. But its amazing how they are ignoring this issue). Then this past spring, boom. No service. I called Verizon, I chatted, I even wrote, printed and mailed letters to them by post. Nothing, nada, zip. They refuse to admit they made a change in their NYC underground services. But they did. Its really outrageous and if anyone has a cell company that they can recommend please post it because I am ready to drop Verizon after ten years. I also wonder if this is a matter for the State Attorney General of NY?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gsholette, we would never want to see you go and appreciate your 10 years of loyalty to us! Service is important and while things can interfere with it that are out of our control we certainly can see what can be done. Does the phone specifically say no service? What specific locations are you having troubles at? What make and model phone do you have?

Tionna_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BlueRiband

Here are the stations where my LG Terra phone read "Searching for svc."  These are major transfer stations:

• Broadway Lafayette: B, D, F, M platform
  • West 4th St: A, C, E platform
  • West 4th St: B, D, F, M plaform
  • 59th St./Columbus Circle: A, B, C, D platform
  • 168th St: A, C platform

I also specifically kept my phone open to check for service at station stops.  No service on A-line 14th Street, 34th St/Penn Station, 42nd St., and 125th street. Nor on the upper end of the at 181st or 190th St.

I just used my LG Terra on a cruise ship and in England and Norway but I cannot use it in NYC subway stations!

I've been a Verizon wireless customer since 1997 (remember the StarTac?) and what annoys me the most is that nobody on the technical staff here has any knowledge of service in the NYC subway system nor can they find somebody who does.  I'm ready to ask riders next to me if they are getting a signal and if so who is their carrier.  Another carrier might give me service down there and at a better price.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

You'll need a different phone, the Terra can only access 2G/3G CDMA Verizon signals at 800/1900mhz. That spectrum is being refarmed to 4GLTE which most customers use for the complete CDMA network shutdown set for next year.

0 Likes
gsholette

In terms of upgrading and the CDMA network shudown:

1.) Verizon has not acknowledged in any of my correspondence with them (just as BlueBird also indicates) regarding any changes in service whatsoever. That is really unethical.

2.) If anyone finds a service that DOES work in the NYC Subway system stations, please post that.

3.) I did switch to a 4G phone (Kyocera Dura XZ LTE) for a few weeks and found that, yes, it did work in the subway stations (again, Verizon would never admit that they changed the system thus forcing me to "upgrade"), but alas the new phone did not work in my office or my home! Whereas my old 3G flip phone (Casio G'z Ravine) was fine in the office and home. I dumped the Kyocera G4.

4.) This is clearly a serious reduction in service and upsetting enough for me to finally, after months of trying to resolve the issue, deciding to send a letter outlining what Verizon has done to the New York State Attorney General's office for investigation. I recommend others do the same.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

It’s actually not a serious reduction in service, it’s an expansion. Verizon is phasing out their CDMA network which only 2% of its customers use (and dwindling) while adding more LTE. 98% of their traffic usage is already LTE and it’s continually increasing.

Contacting an AG is a good idea if you just want to get your complain out there, but it’s not going to resolve the issue you’re experiencing.

No network reaches everywhere unfortunately, and this situation is no different from when wireless carriers shutdown their analog networks, or when AT&T & T-Mobile shutdown their 2G networks, or when landlne/cable companies transition to newer technologies and phase out the old ones.

As technology continues to evolve network/service phase outs & new roll outs will likely continue, for the benefit of the masses.

0 Likes