Re: Limited selection of basic phones, forcing customers to buy data plans.
AZSALUKI
Legend

it's not a rumor. have you seen or read any news in the past 3 weeks?

"But that looks as if it might come to an end this summer, when Verizon announces new “data share” plans. “LTE is our anchor point for data share, so as you come through an upgrade cycle and you upgrade in the future, you will have to go onto the data share plan, moving away from the unlimited world,” Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said at the J.P. Morgan Technology, Media and Telecom conference. Fierce Wireless first reported the story.

Verizon hasn’t shared much about its upcoming data share plans, but they will work similarly to the way you can share minutes now. “Customers have told us that they want to share data, similar to how they share minutes today. We are working on plans to provide customers with that option later this year,” Verizon said in a statement on its website."

Suzyq2012

I also want more of a selection in basic phones.  I  choose not to spend extra money for a data package.  If I want to use the Internet I will wait until I get home and save that money to put on my husband's medicine.  The current basic phones have poor reviews and cost more than a smartphone.  Why is Verizon phasing out the basic phone?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon has probably decided to cater to high-end customers and leave the basic phones to other lower cost providers.  Nothing wrong with that if that is how they choose to run their company.

0 Likes
notarep
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah people tend to forget that verizon offers a premium service. Cell phones are such a commodity that they fail to see the overall difference in each carrier.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Suzyq2012 wrote:

I also want more of a selection in basic phones.  I  choose not to spend extra money for a data package.  If I want to use the Internet I will wait until I get home and save that money to put on my husband's medicine.  The current basic phones have poor reviews and cost more than a smartphone.  Why is Verizon phasing out the basic phone?

Verizon has been offering fewer and fewer basic phones. Don't expect then to start offering more. Not to mention the phone manufacturers simply aren't making as many of them anyways. They are focusing on smartphones. Everyone will eventually be on Share Everything so you just better get used to paying for data.

0 Likes
base13148

I have 65 and 70 year old parents. Maybe your parents are tech saavy but mine are not. They will never, ever have a need for a smartphone. If Verizon does have such premium service then why should we be forced to pay more just because we do not want a data plan? My other frustration was the implementation of the $30 upgrade fee. Hey, lets give you a $50 free upgrade but charge you $30 to use it! Grrr! If they didn't have such great phone service I would kick them in an instant!!! I think it it completely ridiculous that they do not offer a basic phone with a flip open keyboard. I hate slides!!! I have vented all my frustration to them to know avail. I do think they should continue to offer basic phones. and a better selection because there are truly people who do not need not want smart phones!

0 Likes
BLeeVZDub
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got my Mom (64 yr) the LG Revere, it is a simple, light, sleak, basic phone. Is was easy to teach her how to use it and after I couple weeks she was quite savvy with it. From my experience that is a good pick.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Brian68 wrote:

Everyone will eventually be on Share Everything

And you base this on what? 

I disagree that everyone needs to 'get used to paying for data' ... not everyone wants or needs a smartphone.  If they aren't happy with the current selection offered by Verizon, they can buy phones elsewhere or look at other providers.

Grandfathered plans are still going strong many years after the fact.  Of course, Verizon could change that, but I have a feeling a lot of customers will be looking elsewhere for wireless service if Share Everything truly becomes the only option.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's always the option to buy an older model phone off ebay and elsewhere, new in the box.  A number of the retired multimedia phones were good. 

0 Likes
edis54
Contributor - Level 2

Yep, I just did that. Yesterday, I received Samsung Sway (my old one work for me 4 years) purchased on eBay. I went to the VZW store, activated, and the three weeks nightmare with Samsung Intensity III (three phones in three weeks – none of them good) is finally over!!! Sway works great.

All new basic phones that are available through the VZW are piece of junk. This time, I purchased on eBay. But, purchasing on eBay could be a temporary solution. The phone that I purchased is a new phone, but was made in 2008. For how long sellers on eBay will carry old models new phones. What are we going to do when there will be no more basic new-old model phones on eBay?

It’s really shameful that big carrier, like the VZW is, cannot provide a good basic phones for their customers. Smiley Sad