MP3 ringtones on my PC to Pantech Hotshot
rbfla

How can i import my ringtones onto the Pantech Hotshot. I tried formatiing the micro SD card then taking it out of the phone and moving the ringtones to a folder but i don't see a ringtones folder. i tried moving them to the music folder but i can't designate them as ringtones on the phone. I had the LG Octane for a short time and was able to store the ringtones on that phone by the micro SD card but i can't with this phone. Any ideas would be appreciated

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MP3 ringtones on my PC to Pantech Hotshot
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

The process is complicated and totally non-intuitive, but it does work.  

1. Put the rington MP3 file you want into the phone's Music folder (or whatver it's called) by connecting it to your PC and doing a file copy/paste.

2. From the phone, create a text message with the ringtone as an attachment.

3. From the phone, send the text message to yourself. (I know...looney, but it's the only way to do this)

4. Go back the the phone's home screen and answer your message ( you will be charged 20 cents each for both sending and receiveing the text)

5. When you get the message you can "open" the attachment and the phone will give you an option to save it as a ringtone (among doing other things with it.)  Save it as a ringtone.

6. Exit the text message and now the ringtone will be available on the list of optional ringtones

The reason for all this is that the HotShot uses some weird, closed, proprietary operating system (Brew) that is not accessible to the outside world.  I have read some posts from people who have got some version of Android to run on the HotShot, but making this happen is a truly geeky thing and runs the risk of bricking the phone.

0 Likes
diane3

When I put my mp3's into the phone. they go directly to music file and you can not do anything with them but play them when they are there. These need to be put into the media center and then the sounds file, but I can't get to that file. Does anyone have an answer for me? Thanks,

0 Likes
stanzo

bbinnard had the right idea - but you need to send a *picture* message to yourself, not a text message.

Then the message system will allow you  to add a sound to the outgoing message. Add the ringtone piece from your music file (it must be on your phone memory, so move it from card to phone first, if you have to.) You don't even need to send an actual picture, just the sound.

Then you "receive" and open the message. Touch "more". Then hit "Save as ringtone" and you are done.

0 Likes
nuger93
Enthusiast - Level 3

this is the one thing that i dont like about the hotshot. previously i had the lg versa which i was able to use the full song mp3 files as ringtones. the issue with the hot shot is it uses the BREW MP file system which doesnt really allow things from the sd card to be used as ringtones. but if you are willing to cut the song some, you can easily download a ringtone maker or download a ringtone from a place like phonezoo.com. but you have to make sure the file is less than like 500 kb in size then from your computer, you can email them to your phone. the email address for your phone would be : "yournumber"@vzwpix.com (replace "yournumber" (no quotes in the address) with your 10 digit cell number then just add the ringtone as an attachment and send it. if its too big for your phone, you get a send failed email. if not then you receive it as a multimedia message and then click more and save as ringtone

0 Likes