My Samsung Brightside shows that it's charging even though the phone isn't plugged in. Has anyone else experienced this?
Opa_S

I have a Samsung Brightside.  About 2 weeks ago, it started showing that it was charging even though the phone wasn't plugged in.  Battery life used to be 2 days with light use.  Now it's about 12 hours.  Has anyone else seen this before?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Samsung Brightside shows that it's charging even though the phone isn't plugged in.  Has anyone else experienced this?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want your phone to perform at its best always Opa.S! Is there any physical/water damage to the phone or charge port? Have you tried to remove the battery for a minute and test?

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: My Samsung Brightside shows that it's charging even though the phone isn't plugged in.  Has anyone else experienced this?
Opa_S

Hi!  No.... no physical or water damage to the phone that I can tell.  It's been doing it for a few weeks now.  If any water did get near the charge port, I would think that would be dry by now.  The battery has been removed from the phone for at least 30 minutes when the problem was first noticed.  Even though the phone says that it's charging, I suspect that it's draining since I only get about 12 hours per charge.  I don't use the phone that much.  Maybe 30 minutes of talk and 10 texts / day.  Is there a "reset" or self-test that I can perform?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Opa.S, thanks for those details. Have you tried charging that phone with a different charger?

Here's a few tips and tricks on how to save your battery life: http://vz.to/RGq0QW

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: My Samsung Brightside shows that it's charging even though the phone isn't plugged in. Has anyone else experienced this?
Opa_S

Hi, Lasina!

Actually, I don't charge the phone using the charge port; I charge the

batteries.

I purchased 2 "Hyperion" batteries a while back. I also have 2 Samsung

batteries.

The Hyperion batteries came with their own charger.

So, when a battery dies, I charge it in the Hyperion charger and use one of

my other 3 batteries in the phone.

All 4 batteries are rotated.

Dan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Opa.S,

Nothing wrong with charging that way. Take a quick look in the charging port. Any signs of dirt or debris that might be causing it to detect a charger is inserted? Try connecting a charger to the charging port and then remove it. Indicator go away or still show as charging?

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: My Samsung Brightside shows that it's charging even though the phone isn't plugged in. Has anyone else experienced this?
Opa_S

I don't know if this will help or not...

1. Since yesterday, the power bars now show 4 bars lit steady, but the

battery is still draining in 12 hours.

2. Based on your reply, I used compressed air on the charging port.

3. I connected the charger and plugged it in. The phone displayed "Battery

Charging" and the 4 bars moved from 1 to 4 and then started over.

4. I disconnected the charger. The power bars are still moving from 1-4.

Is it ok to use an electronics cleaner on the charger port?

Thanks!

Dan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Opa.S Thanks for the details. At this point, we recommend charging the phone using the original battery and charger to test if the problem continues. Also, we do not recommend using a liquid solution to clean the charging port as any moisture damage void the warranty.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
piazink

My Brightside is behaving in exactly the same way. In addition it is now indicating that the battery is full and should be taken off the charger with periodic beeps when it is not plugged in.  If I try to stop the incessant beeping by turning the phone off, it just turns itself back on...and continues beeping. (At the moment it is buried under a couple of pillows.) Battery life is about ten hours.  Immediately prior to the point where the phone announces "low battery" and turns itself off, it is showing four bars.  I tried buying a new charger (from Verizon), but that did not help.  The tech at the Verizon store checked a number of things and could not help me, either. He advised that I buy a new phone.  But the phone is only eighteen months old!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Help is right here, front and center piazink! This is not how the Brightside should operate. Allow us to look into this for you. Have you tried a different battery? Also, has there been a software update on the device recently? As you share the details of the concern then we can troubleshoot.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes