My USAGE CONTROLS WONT WORK; CALLED SEVERAL TIMES; NO FOLLOW UP
Intense56

I subscribed to Usage Controls several months ago but lately this feature doesnt work on either of my two lines with Verizon. I place freuquent calls to customer service regarding this issue and get NO follow up calls. Apparently Verizon has decided to charge me for something that doesnt work AT ALL; Very frustrated and angry and truly DISAPPOINTED with Verizon. Will quit soon and pay early termination fees on both lines and go back to Sprint.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My USAGE CONTROLS WONT WORK; CALLED SEVERAL TIMES; NO FOLLOW UP
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

You have to set up your usage controls on your my verizon, it should be under view usage and manage then usage controls, customer service can't help because they don't have access to everything for your security and privacy.  Threatning to disconnect won't magically fix your problems anyways.

0 Likes
Intense56

I hate to disagree with you, but the problem IS with Verizons system. A trouble ticket has been set up because when I call a blocked number I get a recording which states that "your feature update could not be completed". The "feature update" referenced is usage controls which I have had for about 3 months and which was working properly until two weeks ago. The tech support person even had me manually reset the phone, which I did, and the problem persists. YET I receive a text message when I call a blocked number stating that the number I called was blocked by the Account Owner (Me):

So what the voice message tells me is different from what the text message is telling me.

I am quite familiar by now with how to manage usage controls when I log into my Verizon account. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

usage controls do not block you from calling a blocked number. It prevents people on your block list from calling you.

If you want to test this function simply add a telephone number say a friends phone can be land line or cellular then call your own number from that phone you put on the block list. You will hear a recording about the customer does not accept calls etc. and your number is functioning correctly under usage clntrols. Just make sure to remove that block on that friends test line or he/she will not be able to call you.

It is evident you donot know how usage controls work.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Elector wrote:

usage controls do not block you from calling a blocked number

Yes, they do ... that's why parents use the service.  You may have the 'block number' feature confused with Usage Controls.  Usage Controls costs $4.99 per month and provides a means for limiting data/messaging/calls usage, including blocking up to 20 contacts via incoming/outgoing calls/texts.  You also can restrict a device to only communicate with those designated as Trusted Contacts

0 Likes
Intense56

Well Mr. Elector you sound like some of the poorly trained Verizon Representatives I have chatted with the past two months who are unfamiliar with the fact that usage controls is a TWO WAY blocking service. The average worker who mans the customer service lines apparently hasnt been told that usage controls BLOCKS BOTH outgoing and incoming message for calls that are on the usage controls block list.

Call tech support and ask for a supervisor; Anyone lower than a supervisor is likely to agree with your misinformed and truly ignorant statement. One would hope that corporate america would do a better job of training their people to be FULLY aware of what usage controls actually does!!

The proofs in the pudding. For three months I WAS able to blocked BOTH incoming AND outgoing calls to numbers on my usage controls block list despite being told by many of the customer service people at Verizon that this wasnt possible. \

There are two types of people in this world, the critic of the status quo and the defenders of existing authority. You fall into the latter category and thats fine. The FACTS however ALWAYS trump ideology as well as garden variety ignorance!!!

0 Likes
Intense56

Thank you tikibar1; You are absolutely correct and this confusion regarding the different between regular call blocking and usage controls apparently is widespread WITHIN Verizon Customer Service as well.

Thank you

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well since I am not an employee and use the usage controls as with the below link I was not aware you could use the service from calling a seperate number that is placed on a block list.  Maybe I am reading the link below wrong, or you have a different set of controls.  http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/usage_controls.html   Thank you Tiki I read your reply then read the FAQ's at the link but did not see Parental Controls. I will have to look on my verizon to see them.  And I read that usage controls are different than parental controls  http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/faq_verizonsafeguards.h...  However I find that parental controls are also under usage controls as:

I also read parental controls can be free? Has me scratching my head.

Block unwanted calls and messages by entering phone numbers, email addresses, international numbers, screen names, and messaging short codes that will not be able to contact your family member. Your family member will also be prevented from calling or sending messages to these blocked contacts.  Block up to 20 contacts (phone numbers, email addresses, international numbers, screen names, and messaging short codes). Block calls from private and restricted numbers as well as outgoing calls to 411 directory assistance. 911 and account member phone numbers cannot be placed on the block list. You will not receive notification of attempted calls placed by phone numbers in your blocked contacts list.

Message was edited by: Elector

0 Likes
Not applicable

Why would you need to stop yourself from calling someone? Here's an idea STOP CALLING THEM.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Verizon Wireless mentions parental controls, they are referring to three separate features ... Usage Controls, Family Locator, and Content Filters.  Neither I nor the OP referred to parental controls ... we were talking about Usage Controls, which does allow for blocking incoming/outgoing calls, i.e.,

"Blocked Contacts

1. Can I block certain contacts with Usage Controls? Yes, you can designate and block up to twenty contacts from communicating with the controlled line via incoming or outgoing calls, text messages and multimedia messages."
0 Likes