No Optimized web browser support on basic phones after 8/30/13?
mavei511

Over the weekend I received a very disturbing message on my web browser. of my Samsung Gusto 2. It said that there would be no Optimized  web browser support on basic phones after 8/30/13 and that if I wanted a good web browsing experience that I would have to upgrade to a smartphone. I am on the $50 unilmited talk,text,and web prepay plan  but don'\t want to get stuck paying for a web browser I can't use after that date.A smartphone monthly plan would cost $10-20 more monthly,in addition to spending considerably more to buy a smartphone. I already have a tablet and was told a smartphone was unnecessary. Anybody else get this message?One person in customer service said that it was propaganda and not to believe it. Another person that I called later found the memo but had no further information on it at this time. Aparently Verizon likes to keep their customer service associates in the dark until last minute.No idea if they will alter their price plans in light of this development. I currently have AT&T U-Verse and will move my number to them and switch providers if forced to.They are willing to offer the same plan I currently have with Verizon but will have to buy a new  AT&T GoPhone.  Have had pretty good customer service with them up to now,but they are not open 24/7 for wireless customer service. Any comments?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Optimized web browser support on basic phones after 8/30/13?
mavei511

Got further information. Yes,it is true and after that date I will have to upgrade to a smartphone because Verizon (as well as all other carriers) are phasing out older technology as it will cost more to serve these older phones.They told me that these flip phones are best used for emergency calls and low volume callers. So looks like I'll have to start budgeting for a new smartphone after all.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Verizon's customer service isn't available 24/7 either, although it is available most waking hours.

Thanks for the update. Do you browse much on your Gusto? I can't imagine that would be a pleasant experience. Can you just use your tablet for data and your phone for calls and texts?

Verizon definitely has an interest in you upgrading to a smartphone, but don't let anyone talk you into it if you don't need it. I wouldn't think the browsers would stop working on feature phones ... they just won't be "optimized" for a good experience like on a smartphone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there mavei511!

Getting the very best experience out of your phone is definitely important! I know I use the internet on my phone all the time, especially to prove my buddies wrong! I definitely want to make sure we have all the information available regarding the Optimized Web Browser View.

You will still be able to access a lot of web pages, it just may not be in the "mobile" format. This is mainly directed at older generation phones.

Does your current device have the Opera Mini browser? If so you won't be impacted!

Smartphones are really great and will give you a richer experience, but if you prefer a basic device you just want one with the Opera Mini browser.

Please keep me posted!

Melissa_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mavei511

Hi Melissa

Right now I am switching  back and forth between the Samsung Gusto 2 and the original Gusto. The reason I am doing this is because the Gusto ,even though it is an older phone, is in much better condition than the newer Gusto2. I want to use the beat-up Gusto2 for work, and  switch to the other phone when I need a more presentable phone.Also have  a Verizon Wireless CDM 7076(somewhere).

Don't know why I am being forced to replace perfectly good phones. And yes,SydneyK, I could use my tablet for data,but it is a little cumbersome to take it out with me,but don't need it for my work . I just took it out for the first time recently to see how well it works on Wi-Fi hotspots(I don't have or want a data plan).Because I am a U-verse customer,I have access to 30,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. I don't want to pay for something (web access)that I can't use on this phone. If Verizon can't give me cost-effective solutions,then I will be forced to transfer my number to AT&T Wireless as of August 30 for a GoPhone. AT&T wants my business and are wiling to do anything to satisfy me. Haven't had any trouble with Verizon either. Yes,  their customer service is still available 24/7 even thought you will have to wait a while sonetimes. I just hate the thought of having to go through the hassle of transferring my number to another carrier.

Marc

0 Likes
mavei511

Hi Melissa

What phones use the Opera Mini browser other than the LG Extravert?

Marc

0 Likes
mavei511

An update:

I found out that it's only the Samsung Gusto/Gusto2 that are affected by the lack of support for the Optimized web browser view.Samsung is not going to support the browser any longer,NOT Verizon.If you have one of these,you must buy another phone if you want to access the Web. All other phones are supposed to be OK.

Also for all  of you on contracts,Verizon IS NOT going to renew any basic phones on contract. You must upgrade to a smartphone.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

mavei511 wrote:

Also for all  of you on contracts,Verizon IS NOT going to renew any basic phones on contract. You must upgrade to a smartphone.

Please explain what you mean by this.

And thanks for the update.

mavei511

Clarification:

Those Verizon customers on  2-year contract plans(not prepay) who still have basic phones on their accounts will not be allowed to renew their contract without upgrading to a smartphone.

Update:

I will be switching to AT&T at the end of this month before next month's payment is due and taking my cell number with me. They have made me an offer for a nice prepay smartphone for $44.99(reconditioned) and  a rate plan of  $60 monthly for unlimited talk,text and 2GB data,Just like Verizon It would normally retail in stores for $79.99 new.I will order it from them over the phone. I played with it in their store and I liked it.It's called the AT&T Fusion 2.

Found out  this would be a more practical alternative for me than getting another basic phone.I can link my wireless account with my AT&T U-verse account on the same webpage so I will have everything under one roof.I'd also be able to watch U-verse as well as program my DVR on the go (AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE) .

Sorry,too much uncertainty with Verizon.After 5 years with them,it's time to leave.I feel sorry for their customer service reps who do an excellent job but are now in the dark with all this.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

mavei511 wrote:

Clarification:

Those Verizon customers on  2-year contract plans(not prepay) who still have basic phones on their accounts will not be allowed to renew their contract without upgrading to a smartphone.

Where did you see/hear this?

0 Likes