Received text messages go blank after turning phone off/on
BillBraskey
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem: After turning my phone off and back on, some text message (SMS) conversations turn all received messages in that conversation blank.  To clarify what is happening:

1. All my sent messages in the thread are still there.

2. There are blank placeholders for the received messages in the exact sequence where they should be.  If the original conversation went like this:

me: "Hello"

other: "Hi"

me: "I am texting you"

me: "This is an SMS"

other: "Very nice"

other: "I like SMS"

The resulting thread after power cycling the phone looks like this:

me: "Hello"

other: [Blank bubble]

me: "I am texting you"

me: "This is an SMS"

3. This only happens with conversations with certain people.  I have other conversations that remain intact from other people.  But when this problem occurs, it always occurs with the same people, and it occurs to 100% of the messages they have sent me.

4. I have confirmed that almost all of the people involved are using iPhones.  There are a few that I haven't asked what their device is, but so far no one involved is using any device other than an iPhone.

5. These are pure SMS.  No MMS, no emoji, no emoticons, no foreign alphabet characters.

6. I am using an LG Cosmos 3, which is a basic BREW phone.  It has no apps. The memory is only half full, and I only have 3 or 4 SMS conversations saved at any given time (I routinely delete anything unnecessary from my devices).

Any ideas? Is it possible that Apple has some sort of self-destruct mechanism on SMS sent from iPhones?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Received text messages go blank after turning phone off/on
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is concerning to hear, BillBraskey. Which application are you using to send and receive text messages? Have you updated that application to the most current version? Do the messages come back when you are on data or connected to Wi-Fi? Have you always had this issue with your LG Cosmos 3? 

JoshuaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes