Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue. Samsung brightside
MrTom0000
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've also found that a quote destroys the entire message too. But only quotes and apostrophes from an iPhone. An emoji kills the message from both Android or iPhone.

Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue. Samsung brightside
NAmabile
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've noticed it happens with both iPhone and Android users.  Not sure if it's only certain contacts yet.

I have a Samsung Sway.  I know it's old.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NAmabile,

We want nothing more than for you to be able to receive your messages in full. The Samsung Sway is a basic phone that's not compatible with the Enhanced Messaging(EMS) that most smartphones use. Regular text should arrive to your phone though. Do you know if your contacts are sending anything else in the messages(i.e. emojis, gifs, etc.)? Do they have signatures set up?

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NAmabile
Enthusiast - Level 3

The problem originally started a few months ago when an emoji was in the message.  Now it appears the most recent os11 update has extended the problem to apostrophes and some other characters.  I'm not sure how this pertains to Android users as I sometimes have the same problem when they send me something.  See the discission here: https://appletoolbox.com/forums/topic/cant-receive-texts-iphone-flip-phone-ios-11-update/

I can receive gifs and other pics as normal.  But even videos download broken. Don't know about signatures.

0 Likes
Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue.  Samsung brightside
stef7
Master - Level 2

It proves, Apple SW is not perfect.

That link clearly indicates other iPhone users have had success turning off Smart Punctuation.

General Settings -> Keyboard, disable Smart Punctuation.

Did this not work for you?

Put in an issue with Apple to fix their software.

0 Likes
NAmabile
Enthusiast - Level 3

With regard to smart punctuation, I can't possibly ask every contact of mine to change their setting.  This also wouldn't help or account for people I'm not regularly in contact with.  Like Uber drivers, prospective employers, or any first contact individuals.  Makes for a very annoying and unprofessional conversation.

Re: Recently text messages come in as blank or as all symbols. Haven't previously had this issue.  Samsung brightside
stef7
Master - Level 2

I'm in agreement with you. All you can do is try to "fix" your immediate group of contacts and alert the manufacturer. Most people don't do the latter.

There must be some other solution to this problem. If not, they should prioritize it in the next release of their iOS update.

0 Likes
wh1sk3rs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Rosanne,

My name is Brad and I have been experiencing this exact problem with my Samsung Gusto 2. My mom has a newer (than mine0 Samsung phone and it doesn't have problems with apostrophes. My friends who have iphones and androids can't send me texts with apostrophes without the problem of blank, partial, or symbol texts coming through instead of a coherent full message.

I hope this helps and I look forward to when this issue can be resolved. Thanks for your hard work.

All the best,

Brad

0 Likes
ENIGMA757

This is another example of forced obsolescence . Ever since EMS hatched, all text-only phones are experiencing some form of this issue;

• Any punctuation or emogi  received from a smartphone results in a garbled (usually a series of squares) or  completely blank text  message

If Verizon really cared about those of us with the problem, a software update for each model text phone (LG enV®3...hint,hint)  would have been written  and available to filter out any offending characters/graphics. As these products have sunset from nearly all the big manufacturers, support will likely never be had.

So now,  we're supposed to have all our contacts who have it, turn off EMS or customize their phones just for us? Not transmit any messages to our phones which contain "offending" punctuation or graphics ?

thanks a lot Verizon - for again NOT putting customers first.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ENIGMA757, we know how vital it is to be able to communicate clearly via text messages in this day and age. We want to do everything that we can to help resolve this issue for you. In your post, you’ve mentioned the LG-ENv3. Is this the make/model of your device? Can you tell us when you started to experience the issues with receiving blank text messages or messages with all symbols? How often does this occur?

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes