Remove data plan from family plan with basic phones?
abcdeqwevzw

Is there a way to remove a data plan from a family plan with just basic phones on it? We used to have a $20/month basic plan until we had to get a data plan for our son's iPhone. He no longer has the iPhone with Verizon and has removed his line from the plan because he has an Android with Sprint. We also were required to use the data plan because we at one point had one of those "Hotspot" devices as a temporary solution for at-home Internet until our DSL line could be fixed. As of now we no longer have the hotspot device or the iPhone, but we still have a data plan that is patently useless because all we have are basic phones. On the My Verizon Wireless website, it says that "your text and data are now bundled with your plan" or something to that effect. I don't want to be paying extra for a useless data plan that we don't need or want because we are not in the market for fancy smart phones or tablets any time soon.

Is there any way to unbundle or detach the data plan so that we no longer have one and just have the unlimited text and calling plan without data? Our daughter is fine with her EnV Touch from 2005 and us old folks are perfectly content with the basic flip phones. Is the EnV a data phone too, in which case we should get rid of the EnV Touch in favor of an even more "basic" basic phone? She's not much of a technology buff like her brother is and has even suggested getting rid of the "fancier" phone that she has for a basic flip phone. Are we stuck with the data plan unless we break everyone off from the family plan (it's just me, my husband, my daughter, and my sister for right now) and move everyone to pay-as-you-go or no-contract? Wouldn't that end up costing more in the long run? How can we get rid of this annoying and expensive data plan that nobody on our network even uses and is causing a headache of expense?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Remove data plan from family plan with basic phones?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I understand the plans now (and this could be wrong, they change so often I get confused!!) to have the "pay as you go" data, on the More Everything, you have 700 shared minutes.  To bump up to unlimited minutes, there is an attached data plan of 500 MB, and the total cost for 4 basic phones, unlimited minutes and text, 500 MB data, is $100/mo  ($20 for each basic phone line access, and $20 for the data).  The 700 shared minutes and pay as you go data is $85.

You can change your plan at any time.

0 Likes